Veeam Backup & Replication Review

A flexible and user-friendly backup solution

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to backup and replicate our visualized and physical infrastructure. We use it to take backups on a daily/monthly basis; to take snapshots for disaster recovery; for application-aware processing.

Veeam Backup and Replication is mainly used by our IT team but we have a Veeam Backup Agent deployed on all of our workstations to make backups for end-users. In total, there are roughly 60-65 people using this solution in our company.

For maintenance, we only require two engineers and a manager.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very flexible and user-friendly — it's very good. It's very good with our virtual and physical infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the reporting. There is something called Veeam ONE Reporting — it's a separate module altogether. It's not included in the Veeam Backup and Replication bundle; it has to be purchased separately.

There's a lot of room for improvement surrounding the backup process. Searching through folders is complicated; customization involving backups is lacking. For instance, if I want to backup a particular server and store it in another repository, I have to first define a repository then I have to create a policy. Next, I have to execute the policy. It's not as if I just snap my fingers and it works — no. You need to build it and put that intelligence inside of it in order for it to act intelligently.

In addition, it should be more flexible when it comes to customizing policies.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for roughly two years.

The technical support is very slow — their response time is very slow.

If I raise a ticket, they should quickly respond. Their first response is very slow; they work on their own sweet time. For instance, four days ago I reached out to technical support with an issue; only last night did they respond — they sent me an email asking me for our logs. The response time is very slow. It took almost four days for them to even respond. After I've uploaded the logs, they'll review them and come back with their findings. In other words, it takes roughly eight to 10 days just to understand the case — that's really bad.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give their support a rating of zero.

The initial setup was very straightforward; however, the configuration was not straightforward. After it's set up, you then need to build it. Think of it like making a pizza: first, you need to make the dough; then you need the proper ingredients; then you need to preheat the oven to the proper temperature — it's a precise process.

We pay on an annual basis. We pay roughly $12,000 for our software subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Veeam Backup & Replication to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. The only issue I have is with their technical support; otherwise, it's a great product.

We chose Veeam because, according to Gartner and multiple reports, it's the number one product for virtualized infrastructure. We got the demo and began a POC on a couple of servers. It was good for performing backups, etc., but it's not about the product. The product is good, it's the service after the sale that you have to look out for. After the sale is complete, the service and support are what matters. This can make or break a product.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.