2017 q2 veeam logo 80 80

Veeam Backup & Replication Review
The WAN accelerator feature has been the most valuable for me. We evaluated many tools, but this was clearly better.

Improvements to My Organization

Before Veeam our customer used to backup data with obsolete tools and had no central console management, so every site had single task to be checked everyday. Now, he receives the full backup report as an email attachment everyday.

Valuable Features

The WAN accelerator feature has been the most valuable for me. My customer was in trouble because he found a huge quantity of data to be moved from foreign countries sites to the HQ in Milan. That feature reduced the time needed to complete the task from 25 days to less than a week! This is compared with the original tools used: ntbackup, robocopy and Windows Server Backup.

Room for Improvement

I think user support can be more analytic. Some support replies for a broken backup task have been "rebuild the job from scratch" and this is a bad thing to do if you have many VMs and repositories.

During a WAN copy we found an issue that if the connection drops and the program reaches the retry limit, sometimes this damages of the backup chain. Strangely, the program runs the day after but it looses the retention points number. For instance, if I set up a 30 day retention point, instead of deleting the oldest file and merging the new one, it keeps going on till the repository is full.

I did not encounter any issue with scalability.

I would rate support 7/10.

I used many other tools: Acronis, vSphere Data Protection, Symantec BES. I moved to Veeam because I initially found many high level features missing in the other tools. Now the gap is thinned, but I feel more confident with Veeam.

The initial setup has not been simple due to the complexity of the customer's infrastructure and the number of features to be aware of. Veeam initially can be complex. If you want to enable all the modules, you must know how Veeam organizes its console and where to find a feature.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I think the price is good when you choose the Essentials Suite, but when you buy a full featured version (for instance the Enterprise Plus) the price is a little bit expensive. This is typical when a company becomes an industry leader.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated Veritas Backup Exec, Acronis and many others, but Veeam was clearly better. That is the reason why we switched.

Other Advice

If you have a complex environment, first study well how Veeam works. Having some days of training before is better than loosing some weeks after to rebuild the logical structure and jobs many times.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Our company is a Veeam reseller.