Veeam Backup & Replication Review

How has it helped my organization?

There’s not much a backup software can do to the organization but its features enable us to have an inexpensive data recovery solution that ultimately plays a factor when choosing to move applications and services to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The greatest benefit of this software is its reliability. The ability to offload backup snapshots to the SAN helps with reducing the backup durations. The ability to turn on each VM for verification that the backup is reliable is another great feature. Recovery of a VM often takes longer for the tech to respond than the software to complete its recovery and power on speaks to the recover speed. The changed block tracking feature is one that enables us to choose which systems need a frequent (i.e., 5 min) incremental.

What needs improvement?

They need to address the confusing recovery dialogue. When you go through the recovery of just a single file within a VM you select the file recovery type and then after selecting a point in time you are presented with a “Finish” button. It’s not clear that no existing files would be overwritten nor affected which can be especially stressful when the VM is live. A change to this dialogue would be welcomed.

In earlier versions, there were some stability issues, but nothing in recent years that I can recall.

We have not had scalability issues and I don’t see how this couldn’t scale to a much larger environment than the one I’m responsible for.

The support staff are very knowledgeable to what I remember. We don’t really utilize them much, but a couple years back when we had storage issues, Veeam was very helpful.

I’ve used traditional backup software that was based on tape and their move to VM backups still used this model. I always tried to pigeon hole backups to disk into tape containers which too frequently resulted in problems. Other VM backups earlier on didn’t improve at the same rate as Veeam.

Setup has always been simple. You add your host, a connection to a backup location and in a few clicks you’ve initiated your first backup. I’m simplifying it but if you compare it to most others, the setup takes a fraction of the time.

If you have Exchange, Oracle, SQL, or a supported SAN, then I suggest getting at least an Enterprise edition. It’ll pay for itself in no time.

We looked at Veritas NetBackup, ArcServe, Veritas Backup Exec, CommVault, and one other that has since gone out of business. The name eludes me.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest that you have another set of backups than just a deduping appliance that replicates offsite. This ‘second’ backup should be stored in a secure manner considering the news of backups being taken hostage by ransomware.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users