Veeam Backup & Replication Review

We can offer disaster recovery services for managed services customers.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the entire RTO and allows us to restore applications and services to customers within a few minutes.

What is most valuable?

• The object level restore from the Active Directory
  • Microsoft Exchange
  • Microsoft SQL
  • Backup and restore of vCloud Director Objects
  • Direct SAN integration with 3PAR

I like these features because they are helpful in offering additional and detailed disaster recovery services for managed services customers. The direct SAN backup feature perfectly integrates with our 3PAR storage infrastructure. It has significantly reduced the time it takes to backup virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

The direct SAN backup integration can be perfected by improving the snapshot removal mechanism and process from the storage volumes. This will prevent stale snapshots from accumulating on the data stores, which in turn consumes precious space.

There were no stability issues that I can think of. When the best practices for deploying Veeam Backup and Replication are strictly followed, the system can be stable without any issues.

We didn’t have any problems with scalability at all. It all comes down to how to deploy the Veeam infrastructure. If it is well designed, scaling is no problem.

The technical support is fairly good.

I have used other solutions in the past, but I switched because Veeam just works. It is pretty easy to set up, use, and it has fewer limitations.

The setup is straightforward, depending on how you want to deploy it. The installer can configure everything for you on the same server with all the relevant databases. It will also automatically install any required external software needed for Veeam to operate.

The licensing is based on the number of cores you have in your ESX or Hyper-V environment. That should be taken into consideration when purchasing the Veeam Backup and Replication solution.

I have used TSM, Backup Exec, and Retrospect.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IT professionals who run their infrastructure in a predominantly virtual environment to go for the Veeam Backup and Replication solution. It does the job and it is relatively easy to set up.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Veeam partner.
2 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Not sure if you are on vSphere 6.5 but the improvements to snapshot removal with Veeam and Direct SAN integration is greatly improved. We always had a VM that threw alerts during backup and those disappeared when moving to 6.5. We now use Nimble Integration which is even better.

12 July 17
Senior Storage & Virtualisation Engineer (Managed Services) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal UserTOP 20

I am still on 6.0U2 i plan moving to 6.5 by the end of summer. We are using 3par integration

12 July 17