Veeam Backup & Replication Review

A flexible product missing some commonsense features and tools

What is our primary use case?

For multiple data centers:

• Backup and recovery for VMware 2000 VMs
  • Windows and Linux Clients
  • Migrations (replication).

How has it helped my organization?

Veeam does its job well. However, there are more than a dozen commonsense items which should have been built into the software, such as being able to sort the column of server names while in a backup job and being able to see what VMs are already in a job when you add a new server.

What is most valuable?

Veeam replication gives migration tools/options for VMware, which is nice. I also enjoy the ability to quickly search for VMs through the Veeam console.

What needs improvement?

The product is missing some commonsense features and tools for an enterprise backup recovery product, but it is reliable, fairly resilient, and works.

I do not like how Veeam's software is dependent on a remote database which relies on the architecture that Veeam is protecting. HA for SQL (Veeam's database) is not really supported. I have been there, and done that. This leads to jobs corrupted, chains broken, etc.

The remote SQL server has had multiple sizing issues within the logs and SQL backup space and sharing with other database apps.

For example, when the SQL became unresponsive, Veeam crashed, jobs got corrupted, chains had to be restarted, old chains kept and pruned, etc.

A little, but storage sizing is done by another company.

Half of Veeam support reps are very helpful and will explain in detail what is wrong and how to fix it. The other half are extremely polite and will provide some basic support, but rather than explain what needs to be fixed, they ask you to run some recommended steps and methods that take time providing with no real results so they can go work on another ticket.

We switched for multiple reasons. More options and configurations are available with Veeam. It can be a very flexible product.

Initial setup was easy. However, after 40 days, it may not act the way you predicted it would. You may have to go back and make changes.

With Veeam, you need to analyze how everything works, not just how it looks like it should work compared to your experience with similar products.

Implementation was all internal.

Setup cost and licensing of Veeam are nothing to complain about when compared to similar products for enterprise backup recovery solutions.

We did not evaluate them to the same extent since they did not pass our evaluation requirements.

What other advice do I have?

You will enjoy Veeam's resiliency. It does not break in the middle of the night if properly designed, and Veeam gives you tools to make this easier to do than other products. Users will be able to get around Veeam's shortcomings more easily if they are experienced with PowerShell scripting and watch the SQL database server (for remote SQL servers) like its your lifeline.

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review and great suggestions. I would like sorting in the job settings as well but when adding a server you can see what VMs are already there unless you are referring to the main Job screen? They have come a long way and architecting the solution is the key especially knowing what you want to do when it comes to backup. Veeam can do it you just need to plan ahead.

30 May 18