Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Provides a simple, scalable, sustainable repository

What is our primary use case?

The solution is so good to use. It allows for proof of concept. One can run a test on the database, move backups from one server to another, do file restoration or make use of portal storage features.

Backup and storage is very fast, reducing what would otherwise take hours to minutes. Veeam was designed for virtual environments. The first year it was involved in supporting VMware virtual environments.

What is most valuable?

While I do not recall whether the latest version is 10.0 or 11.0 I do know that it allows one to make a back up repository that is very scalable and simple. This can be added from multiple different levels, in respect of a single disc, through employment of cluster servers, data domain storage, or even tape library. This means the repository is very scalable, as the growth of data in the past years has presented a big problem. Cloud services can be employed as a back up repository.

While I may not be the user testing each new market product, I am very happy with the solution's scalability. It boasts a support team that is good and fast and can conduct its affairs in a host of languages. When it comes to instances involving support, I can discern the differences over the past two months. Technical support is fast, helpful and provides good advice.

What needs improvement?

While we do not consider it to be a big deal, I know there are other users who consider the running of the latest version of VMware vCenter while making use of the virtual environment to be an issue. One must update VMware or Veeam with care because of the compatibility issue involved. Installation and support must be taken into account.

While strength, complexity and compatibility of the solution may pose issues for others, they do not for me.

I feel the solution to be user-friendly.

The monitoring, reporting and dashboard features are also fine.

I am not aware of implementation issues and I have no concerns about the solution's security or stability. I have even tested the setup and it can be automated. At present, I see no need for an increase as I am not making 100 percent use of the product.

This said, the limits of Windows integration on servers should be addressed. Many shops use only Linux and do not wish to run the Windows Server policy. As they have people with an understanding of Linux, they do not see the need to employ another person merely for backing up the server.

Nowadays one can run Microsoft SQL Server on Linux without any problem, perhaps with this same ability being afforded to Windows Server.

Occasionally, in the course of upgrading one's virtualization platform, the backup can be ruined. I know of people who do downgrade virtualization out of concerns for the success of a data center backup run. For me, personally, this does not present an issue as I am more conservative in how I conduct my administrative functions.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for three or four years.

The solution is absolutely stable.

The solution is absolutely scalable.

I am absolutely satisfied with technical support. We benefit from it completely. Its multi-lingual character is definitely important.

We were using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for 15 years before making use of the solution, although I don't know what the product is called at present, as it replaced a branded IBM Protect product.

We were using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager at a time when the majority of our data servers were running on physical machines. From IBM's perspective, the licensing has become more involved since virtualization became increasingly prevalent. While it was not in my purview, the prohibitive nature of the product led us to migrate to Veeam software and to procure a different license.

While IBM Tivoli Storage Manager was considered to be the leading solution of its time, it was also very complicated.

The installation involves a single package and is pretty simple. This is in comparison to the installation of the DB2 of Tivoli. Now, the installation is done in a single stroke and is so simple and the solution so nice. While we don't really make use of it at the moment, several years ago we constituted one of the main monitors of the virtual environment.

The installation time is contingent on its scale as it varies based on the size of the environment. Another factor would involve the installation of disparate versions for different machines, such as concerns a proxy repository. A further possibility is to install everything in a single machine in virtual storage.

I would put the main installation at 20 minutes and add another hour for configurations, such as those involving emails and reports.

I consider the installation to be fully completed once I can carry out a task. We are talking about one or two hours. This takes into account the different applications for disparate environments in Veeam's environment.

Overall, we have two people who are responsible for deployment and maintenance as it relates to everything involving the physical backup and virtual environment.

We purchase a license annually.

When it comes to the cost, IBM software is significantly more expensive than the solution for our environment, although we are talking about four years ago.

What other advice do I have?

We have two Veeam servers in two disparate sites.

The solution is not deployed on the cloud. One of the servers is physical and the other virtual, with the support and backup capabilities comprising 50 kilobytes of SSD storage.

I would recommend the solution to others.

There are approximately 700 people making use of the solution in our organization.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a ten out of ten.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.