Veeam Backup & Replication Review

We can now restore a single email box with all of its folder contents

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a backup solution for our front-end servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization by 90%. Now we can restore a single box with all of its folder contents. We could install one email, one folder or one lead and it could have still one email. This has helped us a lot. Before we used to store the entire database and then we would go to the single mailbox we need to use and we could restore it. Now we could do it instantly whereas it used to take three to four days.

What is most valuable?

We migrated our servers from physical to virtual with our B2B platform. We had a big problem when trying to transfer our site server that was about six terabytes to the new environments. We wanted to do it with minimal effort and without changing the permission because if we do a copy, the permissions won't work. We put a Veeam Windows agent on these physical servers, did a backup and then we were able to take this backup as a drive that is connected to the new VM environment. It has helped us transfer the solution in two days instead of working for a minimum of one week to ten days.

What needs improvement?

I would like for them to develop the ability to fix the way it does backups. We can't pick a backup for one database. We have to do a backup on the whole Exchange VM. I'd like for them to change it to where we can do individual backups.

I would like for it to work with Oracle VM.

Less than one year.

The solution is very stable. It has worked well since we deployed it. We haven't had any problems until now. It's currently used daily. We do backups daily, weekly and monthly.

It's scalable. We are planning to increase usage. We are planning to buy new Oracle hardware and plan to add them to the same solution. It doesn't work with Oracle VM which is an issue.

We currently have 500 users that include top management, financial people, and engineers.

The solution's technical support is good. They respond within a 20-hour timeframe. The issue that comes up with them is that our weekends don't overlap. We have off Friday and Saturday and they have off Saturday and Sunday so when we submit a request it can take a long time for them to respond. I would rate their technical support a seven out of ten.

We had been previously using HP Data Protector. We switched to virtualization. We switched to Veeam because the person who promoted it explained its benefits well.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The company that we hired came in and installed it without a hitch. Now we can use it efficiently without their help. The deployment took one day. We did have a problem when we started working with it. The difference between the restore points wasn't clear. Up until this point, we're still not sure what effect it has on our backup. I would like this to be made more clear. It's easier for us to directly put it on tapes than to first put it on storage.

As far as our deployment strategy went, we started with building our jobs. We took our jobs and tried to plan them on the system and we took VMs instead of files. It has worked up until now. After a month or so we did need to make some changes to some of our jobs.

Our integrator is one who generally deals with IBM and Lenovo hardware in Egypt and we were the first case they had working with a Veeam solution. They listened to what we needed and what we were asking for. We need on the job training so we needed their help for the first month or so after the installation. The engineer was very helpful in guiding us through the deployment. He was very professional. He helped us at the beginning but after a certain point, we had some issues and he would tell us that he'd get back to us but he never did. He was busy and didn't prioritize us because we're not his main customer. We turned for support from Veeam themselves and they were responsive and helped us.

It requires two staff members for maintenance. They're two engineers that act as backup for each other. We really only need one engineer to administer everything but if he's not there, the other one is there as backup.

The pricing is good and affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to find a good implementor who can help you during and after the implementation.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It's a good product that we can rely on, it has many features and works on many platforms. It's a very good product.

1 visitor found this review helpful