Veeam Cloud Connect Review

A good knowledge base, good stability and a rather straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an off-site back-up. The backup copy of data from our organization lands on Cloud Connect in our private cloud instead of us using a second site.

What is most valuable?

The interesting part of the solution is that the customer does not have to invest in a second site to store their offsite backups. What we have found useful from our side is the ability to implement and also keep the initial backup using the solution.

Overall, the solution is rather good. From the experiences I've had, it's been useful. I might not be the perfect person to talk about improvements, since, from my perspective, I haven't used it as long as my colleagues. However, it's not that different from the standard on-premise configuration.

While there are some complexities, Veeam tries to keep the product simple and offers a good knowledge base. It's quite structured, so you can easily take one subject and learn about it simply by reading through the documentation.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any improvements at the moment.

The solution should allow for interfacing with other public cloud vendors. They could work to build something around that concept.

There should be a way to easily migrate from one cloud provider to another.

I personally have only worked with the solution for about one year. My other colleagues have probably worked with the solution for about four or five years now.

Although I don't have any customers using it, I believe the solution to be stable. I haven't witnessed any bugs or glitches that have given me any concern. The stability is more dependant on the one connection than anything else.If the connection is good, you won't have a problem.

Up until now, I haven't had to log a ticket with Cloud Connect directly. I have logged tickets in the past with Veeam and in general, it was okay. They were quite responsive, and I didn't have any complaints about their level of service.

The initial setup was straightforward. I didn't experience any complexities.

Our deployment took half a day, but it could potentially be done quicker. For us, it needed to be prepared on the customer side and on our side as well.

I've installed this solution myself once and the installation was okay. But once you go through the installation you do have to do some configurations for the backup. With Veeam, once you set up some basic backup tasks, any administrator can handle maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We're Veeam partners.

The main difference between Cloud Connect and a standard on-premises solution is that the cloud is a cheaper alternative. For our purposes, we're using it mostly for offsite backups. We like to keep the primary backup offsite. It helps to make for a quick recovery. For me, the goal is to have a more economical approach to the secondary off-site backup, and that's the main advantage of Cloud Connect.

I'd advise other organizations to keep the first or the primary backup on-site and use Cloud Connect connected to a public or a private cloud to have a cheaper secondary copy. They should also keep the restore point (as much as possible) in this offsite backup storage location. It is cheaper than the on-site. The capital expense for the on-site storage should be kept as low as possible - without compromising the RGO of the restore, of course.

Flexibility is important. Clients should be offered the flexibility to choose whichever storage they would like for secondary storage or off-site backups. And they should also have the flexibility to change from providers as well.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'm not quite a Cloud Connect expert, however, with the experience I've had, it's quite good. I honestly haven't seen anything that is much better. It's not complex or difficult to use or learn. Of course, you need some experience, but the learning curve is not high.

Private Cloud
More Veeam Cloud Connect reviews from users
...who compared it with Acronis Backup
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Cloud Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.