Veeam Cloud Connect Review

Stable, cost-effective, and simple to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Veeam Cloud Connect to provide Veeam customers, who do not have a secondary site of their own, a way to replicate their backup data to a secure off-site location. We have a multi-tenant Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure to receive the customer's backup data which is then stored onto our own cloud platform.

Veeam Cloud Connect also allows us to expand this service and provide customers with Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) if they need shorter RTOs.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Veeam Backup and Replication offered native S3 integration, Veeam Cloud Connect was the primary way for service provider's, such as ourselves, to implement a shared Veeam infrastructure and offer customers a service to store their backup data off-site. When we implemented this functionality, it allowed us to offer our Veeam customers a more complete solution offering and an alternative to tape for sending backup data off-site.

What is most valuable?

The multi-tenant design of Veeam Cloud Connect ensures customers only have access to their own data which is non-negotiable when offering cloud services using shared infrastructure.

The concept of Veeam Cloud Connect is also easy for customers to understand because you basically just replicate your backup data to another Veeam server hosted off-site by someone else.

What needs improvement?

Veeam offers native deduplication functionality which is an important factor when customers pay for their storage consumption, as is the norm for cloud-based solutions. However, Veeam's native deduplication, which also applies to Veeam Cloud Connect, is not always as efficient as the deduplication ratios achieved when using Veeam's native S3 cloud integration. That being said, Microsoft's ReFS has helped a lot in this regard.

We implemented Veeam Cloud Connect about two years ago.

When implemented correctly, with redundant solution components deployed, the solution is very stable and easily maintained.

Due to its multi-tenant nature and modular deployment model, it can be easily scaled to accommodate more customers or to add capacity. This solution is for our smaller customers because the larger ones typically have a secondary site of their own.

I have not been in contact with technical support personally but from what I understand, it is fairly good. We do most of the support ourselves but in cases that needed to be escalated, I haven't heard of any real issues.

We use different vendor offerings depending on the customer's specific requirements.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's almost a set-and-forget type of solution.

Our in-house team implements this solution for our customers.

Veeam Backup and Replication is still one of the most cost-effective backup solutions on the market and offers very good value for money.

Recently, there has been a huge interest in Veeam's native S3 cloud integration as opposed to using Veeam Cloud Connect. I think that, currently, you can do more with your data if it is stored onto the Cloud Connect platform compared to storing it in an S3 container. However, Veeam is constantly expanding its S3 feature set so this might change in the near future.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you cannot afford, or do not have the capabilities of having your own secondary site, then Cloud Connect is a good alternative. It's usually sold as a service based on an OpEx model so there's no capital layout, which makes a lot of sense for customers embracing a cloud-based approach to data protection.

Before committing to a solution, do your homework and analyse your backup workloads to determine what your cloud storage consumption would be, especially if you retain data for a really long time. Using a cloud solution is a fast and easy way to get data off-site but the cloud storage costs might be high if your data sets don't deduplicate well.

Overall, this is a really good product.

Private Cloud