Veeam ONE Review

It is easy to recognize issues before they become significant although identifying hardware issues needs work

Valuable Features

We like the alerting, reporting, and the dashboard features.

Improvements to My Organization

Using the reporting and dashboard features has allowed us to remain proactive with our infrastructure such as identifying datastores with high IOPS or an ESXi host with high memory utilization. Veeam ONE delivers this data in a user-friendly format that makes it easy to recognize issues before they become significant.

Room for Improvement

Veeam ONE does not easily recognize hardware issues within the infrastructure out of the box which costs some administrative overhead.

Use of Solution

We have been using Veeam ONE for just over one year.

No issues encountered.

Stability has been perfect. Definitely no complaints in that area.

We have a fairly small infrastructure so scalability isn’t something we’ve tested.

We have not needed to contact Veeam customer service.

We have not needed to contact Veeam technical support. Any configuration issues have been solved using their knowledge base.

We used System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) prior to using Veeam ONE. We switched to Veeam ONE when the decision to use a third party solution was implemented.

Deployment was very easy and straightforward.It was mostly “Next, Next, Next, Finish” during the deployment.Connecting Veeam ONE to our vCenter and creating the SQL database on a remote host were the only details that required any focus.

Implementation Team

We implemented Veeam ONE in-house, specifically with just one administrator; very easy to implement.

ROI

ROI is difficult to measure in a cost center since we don’t produce revenue.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Veeam ONE was procured through a promotion that coupled it with Veeam Backup and Replication. We were interested in a backup solution for our hypervisor environment however Veeam ONE quickly proved to be a solution we intend to license for the long term. As I’ve already mentioned with the ease of setup and use, costs have been minimal.

Other Solutions Considered

Veeam ONE is actually complimenting a different product leveraged through a third party contract. The third party is responsible for monitoring our business-critical systems, however, we prefer Veeam ONE because it recognizes issues before the third party solution does and, because no Veeam ONE agent is required, we’re comfortable using two monitoring solutions with no significant resource overhead costs.

Other Advice

Veeam ONE is the perfect solution for monitoring and managing your hypervisor infrastructure. However we rely on a different solution for systems that are not part of our hypervisor infrastructure such as our database servers.

4 Comments
Infrastructure Architect at a non-tech company with 51-200 employeesReal User

How are you still liking this product? Do you use it for storage and network as well?

Charley HibbardReal UserPOPULAR

We still like the product and it definitely has its place for hypervisor monitoring, reporting, etc. but I don't think it will be the turn-key solution in the near future. For storage and network we still depend on other solutions.

Infrastructure Architect at a non-tech company with 51-200 employeesReal User

We are evaluating vRealize Ops and VMTurbo Ops.  Love VMTurbo so far.  VMTurbo has plug-ins to communicate say with my EMC VMAX array and Cisco UCS compute/network.  So, you just you it for hypervisor and vms? What do you use from storage?
Thanks!

Charley HibbardReal UserPOPULAR

My storage is pretty simple, consisting of (2) HP P2000 G3 SANs so I use the email notification feature on the controllers to notify me of storage hardware events. Veeam ONE picks up issues with the datastores so I seem to have the bases covered for storage.