VeloCloud Review

Easy to use and the Dynamic Multipath Optimization is useful

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. Our customers use VeloCloud to create their own SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Dynamic Multipath Optimization (DMPO), which allows the customer to maintain and monitor their link quality in real-time. It will tell them whether the performance is good, bad, or degrading.

This solution is quite easy to use.

They have their own gateway offering where they have sensors in front of the applications like Office 365 and G Cloud. It is a unique advantage compared to other SD-WAN vendors.

What needs improvement?

VeloCloud needs improvement in terms of its security features. It needs to work with third-party vendors such as Fortinet, Check Point, or Palo Alto because at an increasing rate, and because of new rules for compliance, organizations require security features that are not offered by VeloCloud.

We have been using VeloCloud for one and a half years.

With respect to stability, we have had some issues in the past that are related to the performance of the equipment. I would rate the stability an eight out of ten because there are some features that are currently unstable, like the link select and the path selection between the gateway and the devices. The result is a loss in performance.

We have been in contact with technical support and I would rate them a seven or eight out of ten. Their response time is typically fast but in terms of resolution, sometimes it takes a long time for us to get the patch for the system.

We also work with Forcepoint SD-WAN and we have tried other solutions as well. Some of these include Riverbed and Fortinet.

One of the big differences between VeloCloud and the other vendors is the speed and ease of deployment. VeloCloud is fast and quite easy to deploy. The second difference is that they have their own VeloCloud gateway.

The initial setup is straightforward. In my experience, VeloCloud is one of the easiest SD-WAN vendors when it comes to initial setup and deployment.

The price of this solution is higher than that of other SD-WAN vendors.

What other advice do I have?

We have been using multiple versions of this solution. We have been using the software as well as different Edge devices including the Edge 510 series and the Edge 520 series. The 510 series is the most common one.

Most of the deployments are cloud-based. Our customers prefer the cloud from a business point of view because it is less expensive. To deploy on-premise, the cost of using VeloCloud is quite high and it becomes an obstacle for some customers.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to first think about their SD-WAN needs. VeloCloud is a very good product as long as you don't have any concerns about security. If the main concern is about the link performance and bridge connectivity then it is a very good product.

Overall, it is a good product that is friendly, integrates well, and has good performance. It is only lacking in the security perspective.

Private Cloud