Vembu BDR Suite Review

A cost-effective backup that needs to improve by allowing for simultaneous monthly and weekly backup jobs

What is our primary use case?

Our daily scheduled backups are only with Vembu. We are using the disk based solution only.

We are a business school.

How has it helped my organization?

We have restored with the full backup. It was completely fine using Quick VM Recovery. The time frame depends on the size of the server, e.g., if it is 100 GB, then it will take an hour. Restoring would not be possible without Vembu.

What is most valuable?

Because all our servers are hosted on VMware, the VMware backup is the most valuable feature. The integration and backup with VMware are very good.

The compression is fine because it is compressing the full backup files. For example, if our full backup is 100 GB, then it can be reduced down between 40 GB to 80 GB.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitation in Vembu that can be improved. When you take the backup from any server, the full incremental backup is limited. For example, if you run a weekly full backup and monthly backup, they cannot be run at the same time. I should not have to create a new job, but in this scenario, I am creating two jobs. The limitation is created because if I select monthly backup, then I cannot select weekly backup.

We have only been working with Vembu for a few months.

The performance is good. There are no issues with performance.

Backups are run at night, then we check them in the morning. We don't do active maintenance.

If we have multiple jobs running at the same time, then the performance will be reduced, e.g., if you run four or five jobs at once. If only one job is running, then the solution can be very fast.

It is deployed across our entire network, but we have a very small environment.

Their technical support is good and helpful. Their response time is as we expect it to be. If I raise a case, they will come back to me within half an hour to an hour at maximum.

Previously, we used Veeam Backup, but we replaced it with Vembu. We switched because Vembu is more cost-effective. So, price was a factor.

The initial setup is straightforward and doesn't take much time.

It takes two people to deploy it, e.g., a backup admin and I deployed it.

This solution has help us deliver an enterprise level data protection solution and reduced budgets.

With our manual backups, we can combine two or three jobs into one, taking three hours. We are reducing our time spent on backups by approximately two-thirds.

One month ago, we subscribed for one year.

At another organization, I have worked with Dell EMC NetWorker and Commvault (about two or three years ago). Dell EMC NetWorker can do the weekly and monthly backups that Vembu cannot.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the deduplication feature. I am not 100 percent sure how the deduplication works on Vembu.

I would rate this solution as a seven out of 10. The product is good, but they need to resolve the multiple policies issue that is currently restricting us on the server.

More Vembu BDR Suite reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
1 Comment

author avatarBhavaniShanmugam (Vembu Technologies)

Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding the full backup scheduling policies, we will add this feature to our roadmap.

The backup performance would impact due to various factors such as network, availability of backup server resources, etc. So we suggest that you have enough resources on the BDR backup server to run simultaneous backup jobs. You can refer to our sizing guide for more details - https://www.vembu.com/guide/vembu-bdr-suite/en/backup-offsite-dr-server-size-requirement.html.

For any queries, please get in touch with our team through vembu-support@vembu.com.