Vembu BDR Suite Review

Enables us to perform daily disaster backups of virtualized servers and restore them

What is our primary use case?

It's for disaster backups. We have a few cloud customers and we manage their services and host them on our own servers in a data center. To perform full backups from that environment we use Vembu.

How has it helped my organization?

We have eight customers who are running their entire virtualized servers on our cloud platform. We use the Vembu software to create a disaster backup of all those servers, once a day in the evening. And once a problem occurs at one of those servers, we use the software to restore the entire machine and get it running again.

The ability to back up virtual environments means we can provide our customers with a good, working disaster backup. We need something to assure them that we have a daily backup of the full machine. There a lot of products that can do this, but thanks to the pricing, we went with Vembu in the end.

It has reduced the budget for sure.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is that it performs disaster backups. That's the only reason we use it, and it's going well so far. It's the only feature we need. It has a lot of other features, but we're a pretty small company, only five people. The most important thing for us is that it's able to perform and restore a disaster backup. And that's working.

We have Hyper-V servers and we back up the virtual machines on those servers with the Vembu software.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to say what can be improved since we only use one specific feature of the backup software, and we haven't even looked at or used the other functionalities. We've only used the backup feature, and we're really pleased with it.

One thing we have noticed is that we get various error messages in the Vembu console, but sometimes we, as the user, cannot remove those error messages. I have to chat with support and they have to log in to remove them. It's a very tiny thing, but it would be nice if the user could also remove them.

Less than one year.

The stability of Vembu is better on Hyper-V than on VMware. When we were still running the servers on VMware, I had some backup jobs that would give an error after a few weeks, without the server even rebooting; it would just give me an error. I had to manually restart some service on the affected virtual machine and the problem would resolve itself. Since we moved to Hyper-V, I haven't had any of those errors. My personal impression is that the Hyper-V backups are more stable.

In terms of the licenses, scalability is really easy. If we want to add more clients, we just get more licenses. It's as easy as that. We haven't looked at all the scalability parts of the software yet because we simply don't use them.

The few times we needed support from Vembu, they were very quick in responding back to emails, and resolved every problem that we reported to them.

The main selling point for us to try Vembu software was its pricing. We had no experience with it before, we just found it using Google, searching for products that could backup Hyper-V or VMware machines. We encountered Vembu and decided to give it a shot. So far we've been extremely happy with the product, and even more happy with the support.

The initial setup was very straightforward. No problems at all. We have different degrees of engineers. There is the engineer who only does basic tasks, there is a media engineer, and there are enterprise people. This was so easy that a media engineer could do it without problems.

The deployment took 30 minutes, maximum.

Our initial implementation strategy was to download and install the software and get our licenses ready in the portal. After we installed the software, we needed to get the connection to the storage unit. The last part was configuring all the backup jobs. That was the final piece of the puzzle.

So far we have seen ROI. It has been a very good investment.

From my perspective as an engineer, I appreciate the support of Vembu's people, they think along with us. They came up with the possibility of converting our existing licenses from VMware to Hyper-V. Most of the other companies that I've been in contact with say, "Yeah, you have to buy new licenses, your old license isn't covered anymore. It's your problem that you want to switch to something else." In this case, Vembu really thought along with us. That's really worth something.

In terms of pricing, if we compare Vembu to other products that have the same functionality, those other products are a few steps higher on the pricing scale. I'm not a finance guy myself so I don't really have the pricing information, but I believe the difference between Vembu and Veeam - the biggest competitor - was $1,000 or $1,500.

We looked at Veeam, since that is the most known backup product. But it's in a completely different price range than Vembu, so that's why we decided to give Vembu a shot. So far, it's been working perfectly for us.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I can give is to give it a shot. You can get a trial license of Vembu and experiment with the software. Try it out to see if it's something that fits the needs of your company. For every company it will be different, the number of clients they have, the needs that they require the backup software to fulfill. For us, we use it for very basic purposes, but it fulfills all our needs. So try the trial version out and see if it fits your needs.

We have the Enterprise Edition. We started with VMware, but we converted the machines to Hyper-V machines. Since we did have a VMware license from Vembu, there was a problem: We needed Hyper-V licenses. But Vembu support was very helpful in this case, and they converted our existing VMware license to Hyper-V licenses.

We switched to Hyper-V because our engineers are more skilled in Hyper-V than in VMware. We encountered some troubles on the VMware platform that took too much time to resolve. Those problems became the main issue and the reason to switch over to Hyper-V.

It has the ability to ensure high availability but we don't use it because we can immediately download our backup and get it working again. Once our server is down - and luckily we haven't encountered that yet - we can restore our backup in about an hour or so, and get it running again. So far that's been the only feature of Vembu that we're using.

At the moment, we are not using their compression, encryption, and deduplication features.

Our company has five employees. It's my task to monitor all the backup software, and I have a colleague who also knows how things work. So there are two users in our company. For maintenance and to manage the software, one person with the right knowledge and skills is enough. In our company, it's usually just me, but if I'm sick or out of the office, the other guy knows what to do. But I can do the managing tasks by myself. It takes about 15 minutes per day to log in and check if there's anything wrong with the backups; if I need to restart the servers or something.

But since we migrated to Hyper-V, I haven't had any errors so far. It's just a matter of logging in, in the morning and seeing that everything is okay. Maybe once every three or four months I have to install an update of the software, but that's it.

It's running for all our virtual servers for eight of our customers. If we get more customers that are interested in our cloud solution, then we will extend the license and we'll also put new customers in our Vembu solution.

I rate Vembu at eight out of ten. I'm not giving it a ten because of the interface of the software. I've used Veeam before and the interface is a bit smoother. It's easier to find certain settings. With Vembu, it's a bit more crude. The same thing with the error messages that I talked about earlier, the messages we couldn't get rid of. Those are the reasons that I wouldn't give it a ten.

1 Comment
Sree ramyaVendor

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your feedback. Good to know that our product met all your expectations. We have noted down your complexities & would like to let you know that our team is constantly working on improving the UI for better user experience. Kindly get in touch with us through vembu-support@vembu.com for further updates or queries.

21 March 19