Vembu BDR Suite Review

The problem is their support system; they told me to leave a message when I called in

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a backup solution for our VMware system.

How has it helped my organization?

I get my backups done. If I don't get my backups done and something goes wrong, I lose my job. The benefit of using it is that I keep my job.

Vembu helps me deliver an enterprise-level data protection solution and reduce budgets.

What is most valuable?

The cost is one of the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The problem that I had getting this up and running was that when I put in a backup plan, and wanted to run that backup plan, that plan had to go onto the server that it's going to do the backup on, and it had to pass on credentials. It would be nice, when you create the credentials for logging on to the server, if it would immediately verify that those credentials work. What ended up happening is I'd have to wait until nighttime to really figure out whether those credentials were valid or not. That prompted me to call support.

We've been using Vembu, as a company, for about three months.

The stability has been okay.

The scalability is fine.

I'm the only one in our organization who uses the solution and I'm responsible for its maintenance.

The problem that I really had — and it was not the product — is that when I called in, the phone system is a negative five on a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst. They wanted me to leave a message. When there is a problem with the product and you call in, you want to talk to somebody or wait to talk to somebody, not leave a message. If our system is down and someone says to me, "What's going on? Our system is down. Our company's not running. What are you doing?" the conversation would go something like this:

"I'm waiting for a phone call back."

"You're waiting for a what? A phone call back? You get on that phone and get those guys on the line."

And he would use some other choice words before the word "phone."

Their response was quick, but I'd rather wait on hold. I'll listen to music. In that same scenario where someone asks me what is happening and I say, "Oh, I'm on hold. I'm waiting for support to respond to me," they would say, "Oh, okay. That's good. You've got it under control." It's all perception. Have you ever run a program and it just sits there and sits there and you have no idea how long it's going to take for the update to finish? A minute becomes an hour. It was like that. Their phone system is horrible, terrible.

The support itself was good. The technician was good. However, they all seem to be from India and language could be a problem, although I have not found that to be an issue so far. I would like to see more support from the U.S. I'd rather speak to someone from the U.S. than someone from another country. That's just a preference: "Made in the USA."

The initial setup was pretty easy. I'm going to reconfigure it to be loaded onto the actual VMware machine, but I just don't want to do that at this time. Right now it's running as a software product. I want to run it closer to the VM machine itself, as a fixture associated with it.

The deployment took about an hour. Our implementation strategy was simply to get it to work. We needed the backup.

I did it myself.

It does what it's supposed to do.

The pricing is fair.

I did some research and I looked at some reviews.

I bought it for doing a backup using VMware vSphere and just started with VMware. But I use another product with our legacy system, a product called Acronis. If I were to compare Vembu with Acronis Backup I would say it's comparable, but it's more cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

If you need phone support, don't buy the product.

I would rate Vembu, overall, as a five out of ten. It would be a ten if they fixed the phone system. I have to hammer that in.

More Vembu BDR Suite reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
1 Comment

author avatarBhavaniShanmugam (Vembu Technologies)

Thank you for the feedback, ArtGrasso.

We understand that you had issues with our lack of phone support and we regret the inconvenience caused. We would like to mention that our support team operates 24/7 over email and our First Response Time (FRT) SLA is less than 30 minutes. We have been successfully addressing, assisting and resolving our customer queries/issues over email without much delay. This is a one-off case. We are a rapidly growing company and we take your feedback seriously. We will get the necessary systems in place soon enough and provide the required training for our support team to extend the best possible support and deliver a better experience for you.

Also your suggestion “Validate the credentials before backup” has been forwarded to our Engineering team and added to our roadmap.

For further updates & queries, you can reach us through vembu-support@vembu.com