Vembu BDR Suite Review

Adding a new server to a foreign location is easy, but the application stability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for VM backups.

We were using an older version and just upgraded two weeks ago.

What is most valuable?

The virtual machine backup is important for stability and scalability since our servers are on virtual machines.

Another good thing is that it has cloud backup.

What needs improvement?

There are bugs. For one month, I encountered a big issue where my storage pool could not be identified. My backups were stopped because they were not able to locate the storage pool. So, I removed the settings and started the backups again. The application is not stable. It needs some debugging and testing on the build side of production.

We use Vembu with Microsoft Hyper-V. While the installation is not a problem, there is a problem with the operation side of things. It should be automated. There is something wrong with the structure affecting the product because the backup should not be disturbed. We found without any changes to the network structure then the backups would be affected and I could not fix it by myself. I did not contact support for this, as it was probably due to the new update, but I am unsure. Now, I am monitoring this issue.

Six months.

Its application stability needs improvement. I have seen issues recently with it. Backups must have a very stable application. If your backup system is crashing, that means you cannot trust it.

The scalability is good. It can scale. Adding a new server to a foreign location is easy.

We have nine locations. We do have plans to increase usage of the solution.

The IT department has five people who are administrators. One person configures the backups and others monitor the backups.

The technical support is good.

This BDR is the first proper solution that we are using. We previously used manual backups.

Initially, we had some problems when we tried to do the setup ourselves, but then the support helped us. They had a direct session with me and helped me with the installation. After that, it was fine.

The deployment is easy and fast. A location can be deployed in a day.

For each version, we have a dedicated BDR server and local storage. I schedule the backups. From there, we upload to the cloud storage. Therefore, each location will have their own BDR that will back up to the cloud.

The initial deployment to the cloud is important because once the backups are into operations making changes is not that flexible.

This solution helped us deliver an enterprise level data protection solution and reduced our budget by 50 percent. We spent $3,000 on Vembu's licenses where other solutions were almost double.

The competitor for Vembu is Veeam, who is very popular and famous. Vembu is good, but still has a long way to go. We found Vembu BDR to be more affordable.

Veeam is good for very high-end servers.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are satisfied with Vembu's operational performance and requirements. It is just a simple backup solution where we can backup all of our VMs.

Vembu allows you to implement a variety of different requirements.

I would rate the product as a six (out of 10). It needs some more work to be done in regards to product stability and functionality.

More Vembu BDR Suite reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
1 Comment

author avatarBhavaniShanmugam (Vembu Technologies)

Thank you for the feedback, Waqar.

We are currently working on improving the stability of our backup server by separating the resource utilization of different modules. So each module (backup, processing the backup data, retention, etc.) runs on a separate machine with just the resources needed for them and this will be generally available in one of our upcoming major releases.

There are always some situations that may throw errors due to possible issues in the environment. If you encounter any issues, we request you to contact our support team through vembu-support@vembu.com. We will assist you to resolve the issue with highest priority.