Veracode Review

Verification that an app is secure gives us higher credibility with clients and better performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the Static Analysis, Dynamic Analysis, and SCA, the software composition analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

The Static Analysis has identified flaws.

From a developer point of view, it has really helped me to know about many security best practices that I need to follow.

There are also security specialists, although it's not my area, who work on strategy to mitigate flaws. It classifies things into three levels: high, medium, and low, the latter being the ones that you can live with. It tells you which are very critical and you need to fix. That helps management to determine the strategy of what to fix next.

When you reach a level of security in your application and you get verification from Veracode that your app is secure, that helps in selling products. Mitigating flaws and being sure that your product is secure is going to give you higher credibility with clients and better performance.

In our use case, some of our products have dependencies in separate apps. Before going into production, each dependency has its own sandbox to help us identify the vulnerabilities in that certain dependency. Then there is the software composition analysis, the SCA, that helps us scan all the vulnerabilities when those modules are integrated with each other. Before deploying the whole app into production, we fix the flaws and increase the score. We have a whole company policy that some high-level security experts put in place. Before we move on to the next level of scanning we need to get to a certain score. That has really helped us. Each time, they make the analysis a little harder, to dive deeper into the code and go through different scenarios to find more flaws. That has really helped us have the minimum required number of issues and security flaws, when we go into production.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the application analyses:

• Static Analysis
  • Dynamic Analysis
  • SCA, the software composition analysis, to scan all the models together.

These are the three features we've mostly been using.

It is easy to use for us developers. It supports so many languages: C#, .NET Core, .NET Framework, and it even scans some of our JavaScript. You just need the extension to upload the files and the reports are generated with so much detail.

You can detect which line is causing the issue and it gives you some insights about, for example, if you have a dependency problem in your inputs or some known vulnerabilities. It even gives you an article so that you can read about it and know how to mitigate it in some cases. Sometimes there are well-known flaws in third-parties and you should upgrade to another version to resolve your issues. Veracode guides you.

I haven't tried any other platforms, but from what I have seen, it is really fast. You just upload the files, which is easy to do, and you can follow the scanning progress on the platform. Once it's done you get an email and you just access the platform. I don't know what other tools are like, but for me, Veracode is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them provide more content in the developer training section. This field is really changing each day and there are flaws that are detected each day. Some sort of regular updates to the learning would help.

I would also like to see more integration with other frameworks. There were some .NET Core versions that weren't supported back when we started, but now they're providing more support for it.

I've used Veracode since October, 2018.

The solution we are using is stable. So far, it seems to be really practical.

In our company, other products are using it, not just our product. So it's surely being used by other developers. There is also management between the applications. Each team has its own hierarchy in the company and the organizational levels are handled well in the solution. We have an upper manager and the administrator of the app. And each product has its own dashboards and its own access rights, so I cannot see the results of other people.

There was a time when we needed support from them. We organized a call because the license the company had included the possibility to have a support call with one of the Veracode guys, when we first started using it. They were very helpful, showing us how to use it. They provided support on how to integrate the extension. We had a one hour call with them and they were really helpful.

They also asked for some feedback. It feels really good to have that community working together. We feel engaged with the whole Veracode community.

What other advice do I have?

I've participated in some of the online courses, which helped. There are some levels that the team should have. You follow some courses, you get to level one, and then you move on to the next level. Each level of certification was really useful to learn about some of the flaws and some of the vulnerabilities that we could face. They give you some great use cases and how to remedy things in C# and many different languages. The online course also shows you how a developer can make some mistakes in his code, and how those mistakes can be used to bypass app security. By knowing that, you can avoid doing it in the future.

There were also some events organized recently—security labs—and they were also useful. There were tasks and I even had to work on them outside of work, but they were really helpful and a challenge.

The training also helped us to identify the existing vulnerabilities in our code and some of the third-parties that we are using that have vulnerabilities in them. We know we need to upgrade them.

My advice is that you should follow the training, initially. It was really helpful, even at the first level. Then, go on and read all the detailed documentation online. There are even some video tutorials which are really helpful. These are the steps that I followed.

There is a section on the supported frameworks. Veracode supports a wide variety of languages, but it would be good to check that before diving into the analysis and why it's not detecting your code.

I have been really satisfied with the areas of Veracode that I have had a chance to work with.

More Veracode reviews from users
...who compared it with Coverity
Keep your software secure

Application security starts with secure code. Find out more about the benefits of using Veracode to keep your software secure throughout the development lifecycle.

Learn what your peers think about Veracode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.