Veracode Review

Effective static analysis, plenty of tools, but needs better support for languages

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for static analysis.

What is most valuable?

The main feature that I have found valuable is the solution's ability to find issues in static analysis. Additionally, there are plenty of useful tools.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the Dynamic Analysis Security Testing(DAST).

There could be better support for different languages. It is very difficult in some languages to prepare the solution for the static analysis and this procedure is really hard for a pipeline, such as GitHub. They should make it easy to scan projects for any language like they do in other vendors, such as Checkmarx.

We have found there are a lot of false positives and the severity rating we have been receiving has been different compared to other vendor's solutions. For example, in Veracode, we receive a rating of low but in others solutions, we receive a rating of high when doing the glitch analysis.

We have been using this solution for approximately six years.

We have not had much free expert support from the vendor. We have had to have a team of highly skilled individuals to make the solution work.

The initial setup is difficult. For example, in Android, if I need to scan an ordinary APK Android application, we need to generate the APK and when you are working in GitHub, you need to do a lot of work to make these combinations able to be scanned by Veracode.

We did the implementation ourselves.

I have previously evaluated Checkmarx.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is good at finding issues and provide some very useful tools. I would advise those wanting to implement this solution to purchase professional support from the vendor. If you do not, you run the risk of having many problems such as the ones we have faced.

The DAST tool is very useful and is used in preproduction.

I rate Veracode a six out of ten.

More Veracode reviews from users
...who compared it with Coverity
Learn what your peers think about Veracode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.