Veracode Static Analysis Review

Fabulous support, good user management, good scalability, and good security

What is our primary use case?

In my previous organization, we used to use Veracode throughout all verticals. It is a cloud-based platform, and you need to upload the code for static analysis. The code has to be uploaded as per the compilation guide provided by Veracode. So, for different languages, you have to combine the code as per the instructions in the guide.

We used to own and manage the platform. We also used to manage the users. If there was a particular project team that needed to use Veracode to do their code scan, they used to approach us. We used to create the user accounts for them so that user accounts were limited to just the code. We also used to guide and train them on how to upload the code on Veracode, how to combine the code, and how to initiate the scan. After the scan is completed, we used to tell them and guide them about how to treat the vulnerabilities in that code, how to fix and mitigate them, and what's the next process. Apart from that, we used to create a project team to build their CI/CD pipeline, where we used to create DevSecOps automation.

What is most valuable?

It is a cloud-based platform, so every organization or every security team in the organization is concerned about uploading their code because ultimately the code is intellectual property. The most useful thing about Veracode is that if you want to upload the code, they accept only byte code. They do not accept the plain source code as an input. The code is converted into binary code, and it is uploaded to Veracode. So, it is quite secure. It also has the automation feature where you can integrate security during the initial stages of your software development life cycle.

Veracode provides integration with multiple tools and platforms, such as Visual Studio, Java, and Eclipse. Developers can integrate with those tools by using Jenkins. The security consultation or the support that they provide is also really good.

Its user management is also good. You can restrict the users for a particular application so that only certain developers will be able to see the code that has been scanned.

Their reporting model is really good. For each customer, they provide a program manager. Every quarter, they have their reviews about how much it has scanned. They also ensure that the tool has been used efficiently.

What needs improvement?

There are few languages that take time for scanning. It covers the majority of languages from C to Scala, but it doesn't support certain languages and the newer versions of certain languages. For example, it doesn't support SAP and new JavaScript frameworks such as Node.js and React JS. They can include support for these. If you go to their website, you can see the list of languages that are currently supported.

The false-positive rates are also something they can work on.

I have been using Veracode for the last four years.

From my perspective, it is really good. It is one of the best SaaS solutions that I have come across. Veracode is also a leader in Gartner Quadrant.

It is pretty good in terms of scalability. There are many users of this solution. There are also many customers of Veracode. We had around 1,000 plus users.

The support that Veracode provides is really fabulous. They are very responsive. They provide you with a thorough analysis. If you have any questions or doubts, they help to clear them in a very simple manner.

I've used Checkmarx and HPE Fortify. Now, I am using Micro Focus. As compared to Veracode, Checkmarx takes input as plain text. It takes the code as it is and does not compile the code. This is the main difference between Checkmarx and Veracode. Checkmarx also has an on-prem solution, but Veracode does not have an on-prem solution.

There is also a major difference in the cost and licensing model. Veracode's license model is quite complex. Comparatively, Checkmarx's license model is straightforward. You can upload any amount of code. For example, it could be 1 Gig or 2 Gig. They charge based on the number of applications, but Veracode's licensing model is pretty different. They charge based on the amount of code that has been analyzed.

It is pretty much straightforward. It is a cloud-based solution. So, creating a user in Veracode is pretty much easy. It involves just a few clicks. Uploading the code is also pretty much easy. It is user-friendly and developer-friendly.

When I used to maintain this for 1,000 developers, two or three people were enough to maintain it.

Veracode is costly. They have different license models for different customers. What we had was based on the amount of code that has been analyzed. The license that we had was capped to a certain amount, for example, 5 Gig. There would be an extra charge for anything above 5 Gig.

What other advice do I have?

Veracode is well-suited for modern programming languages. Veracode is not for scanning large legacy applications with a huge codebase. It also doesn't support some unique languages such as SAP. This could be a challenge for certain people.

More organizations are taking the left shift approach for application security and trying to integrate security early into their software development life cycle. Veracode is good for such automation.

I would rate Veracode Static Analysis a nine out of ten.