Veritas Backup Exec Review

Two main purposes that we are using this application is for backup and restore.

How has it helped my organization?

I can give examples in term of the databases: the Exchange databases, the email databases or the flag files. It has improved the working of our organization in such a way that you can even go to a block-level restore and can go to a demo-level file restore.

The the technology we have been using is much better than the other software providers in the region. The other companies are OK now but Veritas started out first with this technology.

We are using this application as a corporate standard and we feel it's a better application compared to the others.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature of this product is the backup of any data, i.e. it could be databases or Z files, or anything.

For us, the main two features that we appreciate in this application are backup and restore. They are the main purposes for which we are using this application.

What needs improvement?

The stability, reliability of the product and the features that are available in this application are very good.

However, it's not too stable for client-server architecture. Center Management is not so interactive, and then there are some issues regarding the complex licensing which needs improvement.

There are small issues are going on. I am not sure if it is the product or the environment or the hardware that we use to support this application. So there are various potential factors. However, if you go back to the application, the support is really good. We get support in a timely fashion and are happy with it.

The product has limited scalability. It comes down to the hardware, i.e. what we are using, based on its limitations. It can support anything. If you're OK to scale in terms of your hardware, it's going to support you; that is not a problem. But, the licensing structure is quite complex and, as mentioned, this is where they could improve. Licensing is quite complex to understand, we have to go back to the vendor every time to get the right product.

Technical support depends upon the person who answers the call. If they are in your time region, then you get better support, but if they're not in your region then there is a delay in the support and you lose valuable business for backup and restore. Overall, it is much better than the others.

We are actually using two to three solutions at the moment. We are using the Arcserve Backup as they have also been a major player in the market for many years. We were using it and it was OK, but they have not advanced in terms of their technology for many years. for this reason we had to switch to Veritas.

Setup can be both straightforward and complex. If you're talking about just a single installation, it's straightforward. But if you come back to the client-server architecture, it's complex because it has to match the versions and it has a one-version backup compatibility. If you had to go back to a previous version, then you struggle. Thus, it's simple for standalone but is complex for the client-server architecture.

Definitely, we evaluated different options. We evaluated this product on different levels. We evaluated it for various backups such as the Linux backup, and we also used it for several other purposes and found that it's a better solution. That was why we chose this application.

The only challenge we are facing is that the Center Management is not as good as Arcserve, but it still works. The Center Management dashboard is not so user-friendly and that is the only thing we struggle with.

What other advice do I have?

It's an easy software to set up and also, to backup and restore your files.

It's user-friendly, it's not very complex and a person with limited IT/technical support knowledge can manage this application.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

I was wonder whether using it for archive will be also good?

24 July 17
Adnan HassanReal UserTOP 20

What are you looking to archive emails or documents/files ?

There is a product designed for archiving "VERITAS Enterprise Vault"

25 July 17