Veritas Backup Exec Review

The speed at which one can restore offers much faster recovery times for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The Exchange restore is the most valuable feature. The restore granularity that the product offers is great, right down to the individual emails.

It saves a ton of time and effort for the admins. There is far less frustration for the end user that equates to more time for admins for addressing more burning issues within their areas of expertise, thus, increasing the employee's productivity.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Make the product more user-friendly for users who aren't familiar with Veritas Backup Exec. The product is better utilized if you've used previous versions of the product.

The Veritas Backup Exec GUI is familiar to users who have used the product before. However for a new user the GUI could prove to be slightly challenging to get used to. Veritas should provide an update where the GUI layout is redesigned and provides a certain level of comfort for new/first-time users of the product.

I have used this solution for around six to ten years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is good. Veritas is good, overall, when it comes to the technical support.

I have used numerous backup products. My personal preference would be IBM Tivoli Store Manager (TSM). Cost is always a factor and Veritas Backup Exec is very competitively priced.

The setup was straightforward but Veritas assisted us with the implementation, which in turn ensured that the best practices were adhered to.

Engage with as many Veritas partners as possible, to try and get the best pricing based on the partner status.

We looked at NetBackup and IBM TSM.

What other advice do I have?

Consider all the backup requirements and budgets. Look at your IT department's long-term strategy.