Veritas Backup Exec Review

One of the valuable features is the instant recovery for VMs

How has it helped my organization?

One of the latest improvements is the Azure Cloud connector integration.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is the instant recovery for VMs. It reduces the RTO (Recovery Time Objective) drastically.

What needs improvement?

There still a lot of room for improvement in synthetic technologies, especially when targeted to deduplication media.

Backup Exec does not support any technology similar to Netbackup´s Accelerator feature, or even Arcserve Incremental Forever (at least for physical systems or virtualization platforms other than VMWare and Hyper-V). The Synthetic option that we have on Backup Exec does not allow us to target backups to a deduplication media.

Any technology that can synthesize previous succeeded backups will result in a drastic reduction of time to complete backup jobs, giving us subsequent Full Backups for the price (effort) of a incremental.

It is very stable.

This solution was designed for a middle-sized market. It scales properly for a small business.

I would give technical support a rating of a six and a half out of 10.

I have worked with many other vendors. They all have some strong and weak points.

The initial setup was extremely straightforward and it was full of wizards.

Make sure you verify the V-RAY Extension when licensing your virtual environment. Depending on the scenario, it can cost less than half of the price of other methods.

Our customers, who have chosen Backup Exec, normally evaluate Veeam or ArcServe.

What other advice do I have?

Try the cloud connectors. They can become a replacement for long retention tapes in some cases.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Veritas Partner. We are also partners with other data protection vendors, such as CommVault and ArcServe.