Veritas Backup Exec Review

It is a good product for the Windows file system and SQL backups

How has it helped my organization?

As I mentioned earlier, if we have an environment which has only a file system and SQL backups, then it is a good product, i.e., only for small environments. However, for large environments such as Oracle, SAP HANA, Microsoft Exchange, DB2 and the VM backups, you can go for Veritas NetBackup, EMC Legato NetWorker, Simpana Commvault and Tivoli Store Manager (TSM).

What is most valuable?

Backup Exec 2012 R2 is a very good product for the Windows file system and SQL backups. It is very user-friendly, but the next version Backup Exec 2014 that is released and the other next versions of Backup Exec product is not so friendly. The entire GUI has been changed and has changed multiple options as compared to Backup Exec 2012.

What needs improvement?

Firstly, the GUI for 2014 is mostly confusing, i.e., if you need to add any additional technical features, then it doesn't require a change to the GUI.

Regarding its stability, Backup Exec 2012 R2 is the most stable product for the file system and SQL backups.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is good. I give it an eight out of 10 rating.

I have worked on multiple backup solutions as I have worked in the backup-shared domain.

It's a very simple configuration for the Backup Exec 2012 R2 solution.

It is cheap compared to the other backup technologies. It all depends on the requirements.

I have worked on this product, so I am just sharing my experience on this. I have worked on multiple backup products, such as Veritas NetBackup and EMC Legato NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing any backup solution, you need to understand your environment, as well as the requirements, and based on that you need to choose the product. If you are considering the Backup Exec, it is good for small environments.