Veritas Backup Exec Review

Data recovery is a key feature for us, but I would like to see a better licensing model

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backing up all servers and user data.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm very familiar with it because I've been using it since we, as an organization, started using it. I'm very familiar with the software package itself and how to set alerts, how to know what's going on, how to recover stuff. So familiarity is probably the best thing for me right now.

How does it help our organization? It's the recovery of data and the assurance that we know it's there and it's safe.

What is most valuable?

• Automation
  • Restore

More than five years.

It does what it says it's going to do.

As I start getting into the newer releases - I'm not at the most current release - I'll start taking a look not only at backing up on-prem data, but also the stuff that's in the cloud, stuff that's in Office 365, that's in Azure. We need to start reaching out and grabbing our data that's out there and successfully backing it up.

I've used their technical support. If you can get somebody who knows what they're doing, it's good; and if you get somebody that you can easily understand.

The issues are the language barrier, as well as: You finally get somebody to call you back and you start talking with them. All of a sudden, they say, "Oh, this belongs to a different department." They shove me off and I have to wait again for somebody to call me back. It's not a very streamlined and not a very efficient way of providing support.

At first, because it was such a new product at that time, there was a huge learning curve. But once I understood how they back things up, all the versions that followed after that were pretty straightforward and there wasn't much of an additional learning curve.

I would like to see a better licensing model. They changed it and it's just horrendous.

What other advice do I have?

If you're seriously looking at Backup Exec, take a hard look at their licensing model and compare that. Also, experience their tech support before you jump in.

Right now, the two big hitters are Backup Exec and Veeam. But the document that I've downloaded now from IT Central Station has introduced me to other vendors that I also need to take a look at.

In looking for a vendor to go with, the important criteria for me are:

• cost
  • ease of use
  • options, especially trial-based options.

The current version that I'm at, and I have to base my rating on it because it's the only one that I've been using, I would give it a seven out of 10 because it doesn't have the cloud options, the licensing has gotten worse instead of better, and technical support is iffy at best. I'm using version 16.0.

v16.0
More Veritas Backup Exec reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Agent for Linux
Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarSamuel Calys-Tagoe
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Most companies do want to see their data is safe when the IT guy tells them so but unfortunately most small to medium organizations don’t have that cash flow to invest into these solutions that’ will give them the needed rest. It’s about time software OEMs take a second look at their targets and cost implications to attract more customers from within these organizations