Veritas Backup Exec Review

A solution with a good maintenance interface and excellent backup features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as thumbprints for backups.

How has it helped my organization?

We did a number of restores using the application. Even though the earlier versions of Veritas would not allow us to restore single files, in later versions, maybe around the 2016 version and beyond, we were able to restore single files. You could restore a single file for a user if you needed to. You didn't have to restore the entire backup before you could select the user's file for him or her. For me, that was good.

What is most valuable?

The backup feature was the most valuable for us. We used it on the exchange and SQL for mass files and folders. When we did backups, we did full backups as opposed to incremental ones. We found that for exchange, SQL and even for single files we were able to restore the resource process as well.

What needs improvement?

The cost is quite high. Along with the general costs, the supposed agents that you have to buy for the various options that you want to use ends up driving the costs higher as well.

There was also one time when I tried to use the disaster recovery option, which didn't go very well. There needs to be an improvement in this feature. Originally, I used the trial version to see how well it will come out before I went in for the full license, and because it went so bad I did not continue with it.

It would be helpful if the solution had disaster recovery for cloud options.

I've been using the solution since 2005.

It is quite a stable application. We didn't have to run too many updates yet. I just had to run maybe one or two updates, and it was fine. With many other applications, you need to run several updates within a year, but with Veritas, this was not the case.

I don't think the solution has a lot of scalability.  There were a few areas that I tried out and I had challenges with them. I think that they have areas that they need to look at and make improvements. If I were to rate it out of ten, I would give it a seven.

The few times that I had to contact technical support had been a bit cumbersome. You had to keep calling and you just moved from one place to the other, and it wasn't that easy to get the support.

The online support, however, where you have to go into the portal to find the information, was much easier to deal with, compared to calling the help desk. There was enough information on the portal to be helpful if you ran into issues. Most of the time, my first option was the portal. I was able to find relevant information to help me, to get what I needed that way.

The solution is quite stable, so I've very rarely had to actually contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment was easy. I didn't have any problems. I deployed it on the very first day myself and installed it into that was IBM built into Dell team backups. I didn't have to install any additional drivers. The application already had them, so it was able to recognize my team's loopholes easily. I didn't have a problem with that. And then having to set up my backup selection also wasn't a problem. I was able to do it easily.

I implemented the solution myself.

From the outset, we had heard a lot of feedback from colleagues, so we went directly to Veritas. We didn't do an evaluation of other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We used the on-premise version of the solution.

The dashboard was good. I loved to see the maintenance dashboard every time I logged on. That was my first screen because it always gave me a reminder of how many days before my next renewal.

I have evaluated the solution against other applications, and it is quite stable, but if you want to compare it to what other applications are offering, then I would say that I would hesitate if I have to make that recommendation that others should use it.

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

1 Comment
Alex NtowReal UserTOP 10

Samuel,

Good to catch up with you here.

I'd be interested in knowing what did not work on the disaster recovery testing. We are successfully using it for a client to fully (Baremetal) restore is AD environment.

Let's talk offline.