Veritas Backup Exec Review

Gives us a good view of what's happening on the network and it's now easier for us to correct and to troubleshoot network issues

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for authentication, we check for authentication issues. The app allows users to only access the network according to the policy that the organization provides.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a very good view of what's happening on the network. The security feature is very good as well. The network isn't open to everyone. It's open only to those who work on it.

One improvement we've seen is the visualization of issues. If people are having issues on the network, we have to see what's happening right away. On the graphical side, we can see exactly where the issue is, and what port is affected. It's a lot easier for us to correct and to troubleshoot network issues now.

The interface continues to be very convenient and very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We occasionally have false positives, but the solution certainly has a good configuration.

In terms of improvements, I think the pricing model could be improved. They charge you by port, for every port that you have even if you're not using all of them.

The solution could integrate better with the firewall so that we could block ports that are under attack or compromised. I know that Portnox has this, but I don't think it's something that's really built-in. There are scripts that you have to perform. But if it was more integrated, it would be easier.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had any issues.

The solution is very scalable. Whenever we grow, it's just a matter of adding new licenses, so it's easy. Right now, we are at about 800 ports. 800 devices are currently connected to the solution. It is a system that we use daily. It's always running in the background. We get reports and alerts, and we deal with them as needed. As the company grows, we plan on increasing usage.

We haven't had to contact technical support for a long time. Generally, when we've needed to in the past, we've received good support.

I tested the solution about six years ago. We checked other solutions too, but we decided that this one was the one that would work best. Since then we've been very happy with it.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment takes a day or two, and then you have to run the system. To maintain the solution we don't need any resources. It works on its own and we get alerts and work according to those alerts. There's not a dedicated team, just a system team.

We had an integrator that helped with the installation.

Licensing is based on the number of ports you have. Even if you aren't using all the ports, you will be charged for them. The license is renewed on a yearly basis and we do pay for support on top of that.

We evaluated Forescout at the time. The system was more complicated and more complex. I don't know how it is today, however. It took a lot more time to integrate it into the company. It also had false-positive issues, so we decided against it.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution.

For what we need, for how we're using the solution, it does what it's supposed to do.

If I were to give advice about the product to others, I would say that it's a very simple solution and it does pretty much what it's supposed to do. We haven't had any problems with it for the past six or seven years.

I would rate the solution at nine out of ten. It's helped us tremendously over the years in locating all kinds of issues that we had on the network. It also finds any issues very quickly. I would recommend it.