Veritas Backup Exec Review

Offers a more predictable backup and recovery process and has many features

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we use the solution for our ERP, databases, and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important part of any organization is the data. When you do a backup, you want the data to be available whenever it is required. Veritas offers a more predictable backup and recovery process.

What is most valuable?

The beauty of the solution is that you can rely on it. It offers a quick recovery time when it's backing up items. The way it recovers data is excellent. Sometimes with other software, a complete backup doesn't happen.

With Veritas, the SLAs are pretty predictable and you can achieve complete backups easily. It offers duplication and compression and the safe sorting of information.

What needs improvement?

The licensing packet is confusing. If Veritas could do a better job of clarifying it, that would be helpful. For example, if you have a mixed environment of Linux and Windows, you end up buying too many licenses. If you compare it to Veeam, for example, it allows you to buy one simple license that you can use on all of your operating systems. They've made it very simple.

The industry trend is moving towards hyper-converged and a regular pay-as-you-go model with more simplified resources. Users are looking for a plug-and-play kind of solution. Veritas should move towards this as well.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution is good.

Our organization doesn't grow much. For our customers, however, it has been very valuable. The licensing structure is a bit difficult. You have to keep buying the licenses even if you have the capacity. It's not simple.

Technical support is pretty good. They are available 24/7.

The initial setup was pretty simple because we have expertise. We are partners with Veritas and we do installations on a regular basis.

In reality, the installation time is even shorter for the Veritas portion. Integration, of course, takes a bit of time. You need approvals for the different application owners, for example. It takes time, but installation is a maximum of one day.

We are a reseller, so we handle the implementation of the solution for clients.

We have licenses that run on a yearly basis. We are paying somewhere around $10-15,000 on licensing a month. We don't have too big of an environment.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller of this solution. We also use an on-premises version in our offices.

It is the most preferred backup solution for data protection for our customers.

We use it ourselves for our production environment backup. Whoever is accessing our server, whoever is accessing the sources, is using it. It's mandatory for our organization to understand the product. Everyone including the sales team, the pre-sales, the technical guys,  etc., everybody knows the product.

If you are looking for a safe and reliable solution, I would recommend it. If you're looking for something new, or something sleeker or more simplified which will give you more flexibility, I would recommend a Google product.

In this solution, you have a lot of features. You can use it as secondary storage. You can use it for a backup that's more granular. Like Veeam, you can recover items from the database.

It would be good to add more features, like APIs.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.