Veritas Backup Exec Review

Easy to install and learn with extensive forums for support

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premise deployment with a master server and five media servers. There is also Tape Libraries included and the maturity of the solution let us backup everything with assurance.

How has it helped my organization?

Veritas is the main backup solution in our company. We have hundreds of virtual machines that we back up. They are VMware, Windows, and physical servers. It makes our backup process so stable and robust. Everybody with every kind of OS and service depend on our backup structure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SLP, and using it has been very beneficial.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs improvement. When comparing the user interface to other backup and replication products, it is greatly lacks in UI. In some cases when I have an error, I need to use the command line. I prefer to have access to the logs of different services through UI and even to the services itself.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

About the stability, It has occurred to me sometimes that I have crash on the master server. Sometimes in Device monitor you lose a device but after recovery the state doesn't change and you need to restart the application. But about the Backup processes, it is stable like 99.99. I suggest this solution to those who would like to run backup up solutions.

This is a very scalable solution. If you want to scale outside of our building then it can be done easily. It just requires installation of a new media server that is then joined to the master server. I have not seen another backup solution as scalable as this one.

I have been able to learn how to use this solution on my own, without training. Where I am, in Iran, we do not have an official Veritas branch. Therefore, most of the teachers are self-taught and have not used official technical support.

When I encounter an error, the first thing I do is visit the Veritas forum. Usually, I find a solution to the problem based on the type of error. In fact, the backup forum seems to be full and complete because there is no error that I have not been able to solve.

The installation of this solution was easy. Before the installation begins, you have to know the structure of your company and what scenario fits. For example, we are a company with master media, and we install it on our servers. We have about five full-size media centers and a master server. The installation is straightforward for an IT person.

I and one other person made up the team responsible for implementing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I have suggested this solution to four of five people. For big companies, with more than fifty people, I recommend this product completely. However, for companies with less than fifty people, I don't suggest it.

For the installation, you need at least two servers and a tape librarian. This is a good enterprise-level solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.