Veritas Data Insight Review

A solid product that is transparent for administrators and useful for GDPR compliance and regulations

What is our primary use case?

I am a salesperson as well as a consultant. Being a system engineer, I do a lot of installation work and other things.

We are a partner of Veritas, and we use Data Insight quite a lot. It is used for data protection. We also use NetBackup and SaaS Backup for Office 365

How has it helped my organization?

Right after the installation, some of the customers have found that certain kinds of files or content with PII shouldn't be on certain shares, and they have removed or deleted such files or content.

What is most valuable?

Data Insight is a good product to do everything. It is kind of transparent to administrators. It is also a very good solution with regards to GDPR compliance and regulations.

Veritas is a well-established company, and it has a long legacy. Veritas solutions have expected stability and flexibility. It supports most of the flexible solutions in the market and has support for data protection, data monitoring, and things like that. In these ransomware times, it is a very important company with good solutions.

What needs improvement?

Its deployment can be a little bit complex. It should be easier to set up. The ease of use of this solution can also be improved, and it could have a cleaner, up-to-date, and intuitive GUI. There are a lot of competitors out there with much nicer GUI and easier setup.

It should have a better connection with the cloud sources and much more monitoring. I would like to have a single management interface for on-premises and cloud deployments so that we don't have to switch between them. Its technical support can also be a little bit better.

It is quite solid. It has been in the market for quite a long time, so most of the problems have been dealt with.

It is a scalable solution. Norway is not a very big market. It has more SMB customers. It is not like the U.S.

In our organization, we have 600 to 700 people. We have lots of plans for data protection this year. We are looking for a kind of MSP role. We want to offer backup and data protection as a service to our customers. Veritas is a good contender.

Their support could be a little bit better.

We have used governance solutions such as information map or studio, but there were not many governance solutions out there in the market when we decided to go for Veritas. Veritas was the only one, so we went with that.

Its deployment can be a little bit more complex than its competitors. The deployment doesn't take a long time, but you need to know what you're doing. You should have done it a few times.

In terms of the implementation strategy, you have to sit down with the customer and prepare a scope of work. You have to set the right expectations, and you have to sign off so that proper responsibilities are described for proper parties. You also have to document everything. After that, you have to wait for the delivery, and then you go and schedule your time to set up the solution. That's it.

Like all other solutions, you have to maintain this solution. You have to keep it updated and get it periodically checked, but it is easy. It is properly documented, which makes it easy.

Licensing is based on the number of users or the usage in terabytes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We have confidence in Data Insight. Our relations with Veritas is also very good. We call each other, and we have good communication with each other.

I would recommend doing lab work before going to a customer. You must know this solution and its flexibility because it is different. It is not just a legacy solution. It is also very up to date.

I would rate Veritas Data Insight an eight out of ten. It doesn't have all the features available yet, but it is good enough for most of the customers.

Find out what your peers are saying about Veritas, Varonis, STEALTHbits Technologies and others in Data Governance. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.