Veritas NetBackup Appliance Review

Helps reduce hardware costs and offers good performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a media server and for storing data.

What is most valuable?

For traditional setups, you need to have one separate media server plus you need maybe a data domain or some kind of storage. If you use the NetBackup Appliance you do not need to have separate media servers and hardware. You can configure the same storage as a media server and master server as well as a storage port. This helps to reduce the hardware costs of the media server.

What needs improvement?

We've only been using the solution for one year, and since we've installed it, it's been running fine, so I don't have any complaints about it so far. It could be improved if it was easier to run some command items on the GUI. If they could make it a bit more user-friendly then it would be helpful.

In future releases, it would be helpful if there was something to help make recovery easy and the process faster. They need some sort of restore related feature similar to what VMware offers, in which you can directly use the image of a backup. For example, they could offer to make it so you can create a backup that can sit in your storage that you can use to send an image map via email or somewhere convenient.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The stability of the solution is good.

We've just reached the point where we'll be able to see how flexible the scalability is. We haven't tested the scalability just yet, so I can't say exactly if it is scalable or how scalable it can be.

With technical support, it feels like they aren't well trained and it takes forever to get answers out of them. We've had many complaints about them. Usually, we end up fixing it in house, since it feels like technical support is just running out the clock.

I would rate technical support at six out of ten.

We previously used EMC Data Domain. We switched because we required an additional media server, and were using new hardware which was isolated for media server purposes. Since this solution could also work as a media server, I didn't need to buy another hardware license and support for another server, so we switched.

The initial setup was simple. It was straightforward and there weren't too many complications. In terms of maintenance, one person is always managing the backup infrastructure. It's the operation team data center operator who monitors the backup during the night shift.

We have a partner in Dubai that consulted with us on the implementation.

I don't know anything specific in regards to pricing, but I do have friends that say there's an IBM solution that's less expensive than NetBackup.

We only ever made an evaluation between EMC Data Domain, our previous solution, and NetBackup.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using NetBackup software on the same appliance you can expect good performance. In terms of the solution, you may need to log cases with different vendors if you have a different storage solution. However, if you have the NetBackup appliance and it doesn't need backup software you can create logs with the same technical support. It makes it easy for coordination. You can eliminate redundancies if you have a single vendor.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.