Veritas NetBackup Appliance Review

A speedy backup solution for physical and virtual servers

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for backup and recovery in physical and virtual environments, in data centers or server rooms. We are a solution provider company, and I recommend this product for clients and projects with these needs.

The majority of our deployments are either on-premise or private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients are able to back up their physical and virtual machines, seated on one of many storage devices from Sun, EMC, HP, IBM, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the backup speed. The traffic made up of backup data is not passed on the slow networks. Rather, it is delivered directly from the network storage solutions.

I offer another feature to my customers, called the Backup Aerial network (BAN). This separates the heavy backup traffic from the service traffic. I use a dedicated data switch or network port to separate the lighter traffic from services such as Exchange, Skype, Active Directory, DNS, etc.

What needs improvement?

I would like the ability to recover a single folder within the backup of a virtual machine. As it is now, if I want to retrieve a single folder then I need to first recover the entire VM and then copy that one folder. This takes longer than it should for this operation.

The price of this solution should be lowered by ten or fifteen percent. This would help to compete in an environment where people and companies share licenses, effectively lowering their price. I estimate that our sales would increase by fifty percent if the prices were lowered.

I have been using this solution for about ten years.

This solution is not as stable as Veeam. When it crashes and you want to cover, it is a complicated procedure.

This is a very scalable solution. We have deployed this product for very big solutions. The Central Administration Console helps to make Veritas more scalable than competitors such as Veeam.

Installing this solution is very simple and takes perhaps five or ten minutes. It takes a little longer to purchase the license and register the product.

What other advice do I have?

More Veritas NetBackup Appliance reviews from users