Veritas NetBackup Review

Friendly graphical user interface has made it easy for us to create policies and to do installs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our databases, servers and VM. We are resellers of this product and I am the manager of infrastructure and support.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup brings us business continuity.

What is most valuable?

I like this solution, it's quite easy to use because of the friendly graphical user interface. It's easy to create policies and to do installs.

What needs improvement?

This product doesn't come with a reporting feature which means it has to be installed separately. The outcome is that you don't have good analytical tools or business intelligence reports that you can share with top management. Previously, we were unable to do regular restore of sites, especially with mailbox backup which made things cumbersome. That seems to have been sorted in recent versions. Finally, if you need to change the server, the solution requires retention of the initial domain name. I think this can possibly create security concerns. The solution is also quite costly.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable. You can install one version and forget about it.

The solution is scalable. We have one person maintaining it and our users are the IT team, the manager for infrastructure and support and about six people involved in technolgical support.

The last time we used technical support was when we made a version change. They were fine.

Deployment was completed in less than a week. We used a third party and they were quite good. They took us through the installation, the configuration, and they trained me as well.

I don't have the actual figures at the moment, but this is a costly product. Additional expenses would come in when other devices are integrated to the backup solution in that tape library.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product because of the ease of use, the simple installation and that the solution is on cloud rather than on-prem. It's important to research options and to do fact finding before getting into it. You need to know that this is the solution you're looking for.

Finally, no matter how well your environment is maintained, or well kept, or how well your disaster recovery plans are in place, at some point you will need a backup solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More Veritas NetBackup reviews from users