Veritas NetBackup Review

Great security with excellent compression and deduplication

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for our clients are for data protection and for backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution for our clients, obviously, is security. It backs up Microsoft SQL Server very well.

The solution offers very good storage efficiency, so there's excellent compression and deduplication within the product that our clients really appreciate.

What needs improvement?

How the solution operates in the cloud could be improved. There's a feature called data immutability, and needs to be improved within the product.

I'm only familiar with the 8.2 version of the solution. It is my understanding that there are some new features that are being released in 8.3. However, more API integration is required in future releases, if that's not already in the works.

It would be extremely helpful if the solution offered near-zero recovery time for SQL.

I've been using the solution for 20 years. It's been about two decades.

The solution is very stable. Our clients find it reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect how it works. It doesn't crash or cause downtime.

The solution can scale. That's not a problem. I usually consult with organizations that are medium to large in size, and I know that if they need to expand or scale up, they can do so with this product.

I have not had any experience with technical support. That service is for my clients to work with. I simply help evaluate the product on their behalf. My understanding, however, is that they've got a support and managed service that they offer with service level agreements.

Unfortunately, I don't implement the solution. I just evaluate different products, including this one, for my clients. Since I'm not involved in the process, I wouldn't be able to evaluate how difficult or straightforward it is to accomplish.

I am aware of the list pricing. It can be quite high if your company has a lot of storage.

It's licensed on a per terabyte basis. Depending on how many terabytes you have, that will ultimately determine the cost. There aren't any additional costs beyond the per terabyte pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're Veritas partners, however, we are independent and completely neutral towards our partners. I'm a consultant. I don't use the product. I evaluate the product for clients. The clients are the ones who use the product.

I'd advise other organizations to look at both their on-prem and cloud together. It's good to manage everything from one place.

I'd rate the solution eight out for ten.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant
More Veritas NetBackup reviews from users