Veritas NetBackup Review

Offers disaster recovery, but scales poorly because of the price, the support needs improvement, and it is underdeveloped

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for DR backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the disaster recovery functionality.

What needs improvement?

The cost aspect is one of the largest reasons we will be moving to Commvaut, along with the product has deteriorated in the last few years, mainly due to underdevelopment.

The support for new technologies is limited. Time to market is always a problem with them. New services, new technologies, and new versions of operating systems come out and we are always suffering for six to twelve months. Overall, they are quite slow to respond to new technologies coming into the market.

Technical support needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for twenty years.

They had removed a lot of the support on the role-based access without any announcement. Later, they decided to add it back into a different release.

Scalability comes down to prices. It doesn't scale well because of the cost.

The technical support is bad. They have poor response time and they never met any of the SLAs in terms of time to deliver or pick up on calls.

The support engineers are less trained than ours.

It's been changing over the years. I would say that the initial setup is complex, depending on your environment.

It's expensive when comparing to other solutions on the market.

We have decided that this will be the last year that we are using Veritas. We used to like their support, but not these days. We will be migrating to Commvault, primarily because of the cost.

What other advice do I have?

There are plenty of new generation backup solutions on the market that are designed for today, for private or public clouds. I would recommend a hybrid of cloud and on-premises. Look for a solution that can provide a hybrid.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

More Veritas NetBackup reviews from users