Veritas NetBackup Review

Managed to control all backups centrally across the environment and ensure correct and multiple retention periods were in place.

How has it helped my organization?

Managed to control all backups centrally across the environment and ensure correct and multiple retention periods were in place based on the business requirement.

What is most valuable?

Management interface was simple to use once understood.

What needs improvement?

Updates were not always consistent.

Early releases did seem to cause issues. Once a stable version was found then we generally stayed with it for an extended period, as it just worked.

Very scalable. Started with 20 machines, within two years, scaled to over 250 and management was just as easy.

Good. Logging of tickets was very difficult and complicated but once logged, very helpful.

Very good. All issues were resolved in a timely manner.

Yes, switch was prompted by IT Manager; due diligence report from external company concluded existing product was not suitable for needs.

Complex, as was unsure how the product worked at the beginning. But after several months of using, became very simple to use as everything is within the single agent install and understood what was required.

Initial implementation was via a vendor team. Upgrades were in-house, as had relevant experience.

Vendor did seem to know what they were doing on implementation but usage of the product seemed limited.

Licensing was very expensive and did not scale well if needed to move between license models. But you get for what you pay for.

What other advice do I have?

Very expensive product, learning curve is very high but once understood and working correctly, is a fantastic product.