Veritas NetBackup Review
Improves on data protection and recovery while reducing potentially huge costs

How has it helped my organization?

I’ve seen organisations using NetBackup efficiently improving on data protection and recovery while reducing potentially huge costs due to the features I’ve mentioned above.

What is most valuable?

• Backup compatibility with most of the existing, legacy, and emerging softwares, filesystems, databases, and technologies.
  • User-friendliness.
  • Ease of installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting.
  • Support services.
  • Features like deduplication, FlashBackup, GRT, BMR, snapshot backups for virtual machines, cloud backup integration, duplication, and AIR (Auto Image Replication) feature.

What needs improvement?

Veritas is already consistently and proactively developing the backup software to make it more compatible and efficient with the latest and emerging technologies. I feel they should stick to this development and increase the pace of this development a bit more to cope up with the current need of data protection market.

There have been issues with performance and some features. However, the support is proactive and they resolve them in a timely fashion to the best of our knowledge.

Nothing so far.

10 out of 10.

We used TSM earlier. We switched to NetBackup primarily for its valuable features (as mentioned above).

Easy in terms of setting up the three tier NetBackup domain. Challenges were encountered though while setting up other aspects like network, resiliency, firewalls, etc.

I can’t comment much as there’s not much visibility on this aspect. However, I’d advise mostly to go for a capacity based license for mid to large scale organisations.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! It’s the best available backup software in the market.