Verizon EdgeCast Review

Easy to use, integrates with and loads your websites in seconds, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

Our web servers are leveraging it. We park our assets with Verizon EdgeCast, but the actual dynamic feature is on our site. People are still calling back to our sites, but our assets are cashed with the CDN.

How has it helped my organization?

Without EdgeCast, our website was taking 10 to 15 seconds to load. With EdgeCast, it loads under five seconds. It's a good product.

What is most valuable?

Verizon does a good job of cashing our assets and it integrates with our current web offering.

It's super easy to use and integrate with.

What needs improvement?

Verizon EdgeCast is great in the US and they have good coverage. Globally they do have endpoints, but compared to CloudFront with AWA or Cloudflare, they have less of a reach.

The comparable features that we are looking at fits into Cloudflare's free version, as opposed to Verizon EdgeCast, which we are paying for.

In the next release, I would like to see more global endpoints for their CDN and a lower price.

We have been using Verizon EdgeCast for approximately ten years.

The stability is rock solid and we have not had any problems with it.

This solution is scalable. I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the US it's great in the network, but globally not as much. Overall, it's okay.

The entire company uses this solution. We have 100,000 users who pass through monthly, so we use it pretty heavily.

Technical support is great. The customer service is awesome.

EdgeCast is really easy to setup.

The most complex is CloudFront from AWS. Cloudflare is easy, as is EdgeCast.

The pricing needs to be reduced because it's expensive.

Cloudflare is super cheap; it's $300 a month for a website if you want all of its features.

AWS Cloudfront is paid per request.

When I modeled it out, we are spending somewhere between $600 to $800 a month with Verizon EdgeCast. If we go with AWS and have them do the exact same thing with Cloudfront, were looking at $30, and Cloudflare is free.

What other advice do I have?

It's a phenomenal product, but it comes down to price. Cloudflare is substantially cheaper, which is one of the reasons that people chose it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud