Versa FlexVNF Review

Straightforward setup, good scalability features, and can be configured and managed from anywhere

What is our primary use case?

I am working as a network engineer, and I test the performance of virtual routers and other products. I work in a lab environment where we test the performance of these products. I have worked on Data Plane for Versa. We have a controller deployed, and we have different templates on it.

What is most valuable?

The division of Control Plane and Data Plane is most valuable. It can be deployed anywhere, and you can control it and configure it from anywhere. This is one of the good features of this solution.

What needs improvement?

I heard about them for the first time just before I started working on Versa. They do have blogs for information, but they could publicize more about the documentation and architecture. It doesn't seem to have that much exposure, and they should work on their customer base more.

I have been using this solution for only six months.

It is easy to scale if you know about the SD-WAN technology, and you have worked on a similar solution. It is similar to other SD-WAN technologies and components. If you are experienced in working with other SD-WAN products, it will be easier. If you don't have a clue about it, it will be a problem.

In terms of the number of users, in my team, there are 15 to 20 people. We get a requirement, and then we work on it. For example, a customer has a requirement for Versa Flex to be deployed in their environment. Sometimes, there may be ten people working on it, and sometimes, there may be just two people working on it. It depends on a customer's requirements.

Their technical support is good. We directly communicate with Versa if we have any issues or questions. Their response time is really good.

Our issues were related to some glitches. Some of our test cases were also not working fine. They helped with what we were doing wrong. In our test environment, we had different configurations, and they were pretty helpful about that.

I've worked on Viptela's SD-WAN technologies.

It has a straightforward setup.

What other advice do I have?

If you are trying to implement Versa Flex, I would recommend understanding how all the components work and stick together. You should know this because this is a next-generation technology using which you could deploy an orchestrator in other environments. You can then deploy your nodes on various sites, such as a physical site or a cloud environment, and control them from there. You should have good knowledge of how this technology works, and then you should appropriately use its new features, which segregate it from legacy routers.

It is a great product with good scalability features. It is good compared to other leading products in the market. I would rate Versa FlexVNF an eight out of ten.

More Versa FlexVNF reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Versa FlexVNF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.