Vertica Review

Simple setup and responsive support.

Valuable Features

Ability to get top performance for in-advance known aggregative SQL queries.

Improvements to My Organization

HP Vertica is an outstanding backend for Big Data-scale interactive dashboards/BI. Achieving top performance however requires a deep understanding of the product architecture and experience in fine tuning of Vertica.

Room for Improvement

I really would like to see Vertica able to use heterogeneous storage (RAM, SSD, HDD). Another issue I have seen is that the SQL optimizer fails to make optimizations that competing products are able to do. That’s something that should be improved as well.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for two years.

We have had no issues with deployment.

They should provide HA with Vertica, the cluster must be put behind Load Balancers.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

I have no complaints, the HP guys were very responsive.

The initial Vertica setup was really simple.

Implementation Team

In-house. The vendor team had many persons working on our project and we got an impression that it is difficult for them to focus on our requirements.

Other Solutions Considered

I have evaluated numerous competing products. HP Vertica was chosen for the top performance of aggregative queries.

Other Advice

It is very easy to start using Vertica, however getting the maximum performance from it is a fine art.