Vertica Review

Having projections as a parallel for indexes in a simple MySQL helped keep our data access fast and optimized. More insight into what the product is doing would help debugging.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

This product has enabled us to keep very large amounts of data at hand for fast querying. With enough hardware force behind it, we were able to use Vertica as our primary reporting database without having to aggregate data, thus enabling us to provide many reports without having duplicated data or large aggregation steps.

Room for Improvement

We would like to see better documentation and examples as well as further simplicity in creating clusters, adding nodes, etc. I understand the GUI is very simple but sometimes more insight into what the product is doing and where errors are occurring would help debugging.

Use of Solution

We have used HP Vertica for three years.

We have found multiple issues with deployment. Deployment was by far the hardest step in the process. We have very little knowledge of how to set up projects, how they affect query times, and how much additional storage they require.

We have had no stability issues.

Scalability was a problem given we had to host the solution ourselves. It would be great to have a cloud-based solution around Vertica. Also, we found it difficult to modify and update our schema as we grew. Part of the problem may have been that when we first started using Vertica we were inexperienced.

We paid for technical support for one year but did not use it very much so we discontinued its use.

Choosing Vertica was the first time we used a data warehouse solution for handling the large amounts of data we were starting to gather. Since then, we have switched from an internally hosted Vertica to Spark managed externally.

The initial setup was complex.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house. I would advise anyone to use a vendor unless you have an in-house expert.

ROI

I do not have an ROI. It is fair to say that we could not have provided our product to customers without Vertica.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I found paying for the amount of storage we used simple. It was a surprise because we underestimated how much storage projections use and definitely did not purchase the correct license for the amount of data we estimated we would be handling.

Other Advice

The product is great to use, but there is a steep learning curve initially. Also, we found limited resources for basic operations such as setup and deployment. Most tutorials and documentation were regarding how to run queries and use external tools such as Pentaho, which we weren’t using. We just wanted good explanations of how to optimize using projections, etc. I think it can be a great product if used correctly and implemented by a team who is familiar with the product.