Vertica Review

It's fast and built for complex analytics queries with a large amount of data.

What is most valuable?

The speed of Vertica out of the box with the ability it has to perform complex analytics queries. In other databases, information will return in hours or even days while in Vertica it will be finished in minutes or even seconds. This is the best feature it has.

How has it helped my organization?

Vertica is in our core technology stack. We are serving reports and dashboard to clients from it. It's very important to us that it fulfills its function correctly and provides us with an advantage over our competitors.

What needs improvement?

The internal documentation. As a DBA, I really want to understand how its internals works. It needs to handle high concurrency short queries better as Vertica is not handling these well, and we have had to develop our own tool to help us with our dashboard.

I've been using it for five years.

The only thing is that it is very sensitive to network glitches and every time it happens, a node will leave the cluster and we need to re-connect it. Apart from this, the stability is very good.

It is very easy to scale Vertica as you need.

It used to be 10/10 but now it's 8/10. Maybe it's because they were bought by HP which is a big company and the transition is hard.

The last company I worked for shifted from Oracle to Vertica. For our BI queries it's a huge win. Vertica is much better than any other raw store as it is built exactly for complex analytic queries with a huge amount of data.

The earlier version wasn't that good to deploy, but now it's pretty easy to install. If you follow the documentation, you will be OK.

We implemented it in-house. Since it's different than a raw store database, you need to understand the architecture in order to get the most out of Vertica. This means that you will need to design you data model to suit the Vertica architecture otherwise you will get the same performance as the solution you're replacing, or worse. If your implementation is not complex you can just put it in and you will get out of the box improvements, but for complex ones you need to know how Vertica works and build the right design.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool but to get the most out of it you will have to design your models to fit it.