Vertica Review

We can quickly identify with the root cause analysis where trends are.

Valuable Features:

We're just now getting into Vertica, but it allows us to store and access big data very quickly. It comes down to being able to quickly identify where the root cause analysis is and where trends are, so you can actually try to almost predict where problems are before they really become a problem.

Improvements to My Organization:

The ability to access in-store, big data, and be able to create keywords for faster resolution and look up an individual, hey we did this problem before. It'll show you all the steps and everything, along with different products. Vertica is pretty much the database behind it. It really does the performance aspect of it.

Room for Improvement:

I guess really the only thing there is if you get a server big enough to handle Vertica, it does just fine. If you're working in a small business, it will tend to overtake most of their budget from a cost perspective because you need so many servers, so much storage, to be able to handle all that stuff.

Stability Issues:

It's very stable.

Initial Setup:

We had no issues deploying it.

Other Solutions Considered:

I did not really look at any competition. Basically, it's like I said, we're an HP shop and a lot of their applications are going to a Vertica database for its storage and processing of data. We were doing a lot of Oracle, but Oracle was actually moving towards Vertica in our environment.

Other Advice:

Make sure you understand how much data that you're going to be incorporating into the big data, so you can actually define the amount of storage and redundant storage appropriately.

More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.