Vertica Review

It works well. When we ran into issues, there seemed to be a lot of different opinions for how to resolve them.

What is most valuable?

We use Vertica as our primary data warehouse. It works well, relatively, most of the time.

What needs improvement?

I just expect it to work and be serviceable. When we ran into issues, there seemed to be a lot of different opinions for how to resolve the issues and that was the feedback I gave to them. You talked to one tech, you talk to a different tech they had a much different approach. That was a big frustration point for us.

The upgrade path and which way we should go. So at the end it created a lot of confusion for us, so I wouldn't upgrade it again lightly. We're going to remain on it for the next year, but we'll probably re-evaluate at that point if we want to continue with Vertica or something else.

It's been stable since November and before that, to be fair, it was stable for quite a while.

The reason we like Hadoop and others is because they scale up, pricing doesn't scale up at the same level. Vertica is a license per terabyte product. They do give you discounts the more volume you get, but it adds up over time fast. We could scale at a lower cost with than other solutions.

Scaling was a pain point. Getting recommendation on how to set it up ultimately to provide the best performance, how many notes, other things. We got different answers from them.

We use MongoDB for some of our other internal production apps. It's a lot more involved and more complex than we like to go for a, just standard data warehouse, but we might look at Hadoop or similar for that.

There's a lot of complexities with the upgrade and costs of data failures. That was last year. It was kind of good that I forgot about those pain points.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that they highly evaluate all their options. If they're just going to run a small data warehouse, it's probably not a bad solution. If it's something they know is going to grow dramatically and unpredictably? I don't know. I would evaluate hard.

More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.