Vertica Review

We use it for marketing analytics. Documentation could be improved.

Valuable Features

• Compression / speed with highly complex queries

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for analytics (marketing).

Room for Improvement

• Performance tuning
  • Not much by way of any documentation: The explain plans are very difficult to read / understand. I tried to diagnose some specific queries using the DBD Vertica utility, etc. For one example of using the explain plan, the query was complex with lots of joins and so on (the query took up about three A4 pages), but the explain plan I printed out took up in excess of 32 A4 pages. How on earth would you read that? No visual tools were available that I could find.
  • Very little if any training available in the UK: Our company wasn't able to find any on the topic. We found very little if any documentation (from the vendor) that was of much use.
  • Cloning / export was not well documented; poor examples.

Use of Solution

I have used it for three years. I worked with versions 4-7.x.

I occasionally encountered stability issues (more so in earlier versions).

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

Initially when I first started, the documentation, etc. available was scarce. However, this has improved substantially.

I was used to OLTP and DWH solutions based on technology such as Oracle, so some of the concepts are quite different.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, other options were considered, e.g., Kognitio.

Other Advice

It’s still not mainstream (especially in the UK) and I would say to some extent still ‘improving’ at each release, but it is enterprise ready and a hugely cheaper option than some.

We did some like-for-like comparisons between HP Vertica and Oracle Exadata (work load / timings) and the two compared favourably, with Vertica being faster than Oracle in all but the biggest and most complex of queries.