Vertica Review

It delivers speed and performance in query response time. Complicated multi-table queries perform well.

What is most valuable?

Speed and performance: Vertica stands top among its peers in the MPP world, delivering unparalleled speed and performance in query response time. Its distributed architecture and use of projection (materialized version of data) beats most of its competitors.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is used for in-database analytics for reports and queries that require very fast response times. Complicated multi-table queries perform very well, and the company has improved on business operations looking at hot data from various dimensions.

What needs improvement?

Projections take up a lot of space and hence, compression can be improved. Installation can be more intuitive via a simple, lightweight web client instead of the command line.

I have used it for two years.

While Vertica is otherwise stable, sometimes there are issues with restores to the last checkpoint.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is very good and knowledgeable.

I previously used Postgres; switched as performance suffered due to data growth.

Initial setup was straightforward through the command line.

Negotiate; with HDFS, storage is cheap. Vertica charges per terabyte of compressed data. But the underlying architecture materializes data in a different order and hence space utilization is always heavy, even for a single table; add to that the replication factor.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated Netezza and ParAccel.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the data and table structures are compact. Vertica will create many versions of the same data as a projection and isolated tables will increase size, increasing licensing cost.

More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.