Vertica Review

What is most valuable?

Columnar storage makes 'hot data' available much faster than a traditional RDBMS solution. Also, Vertica scales up quickly and maintains good performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Performance management of high-traffic sites - Vertica's ease of scaling has been invaluable for one of our main customers.

What needs improvement?

I'm concerned that HP Enterprise has sold their software business, and worry about future investment to enhance predictive/machine-learning capabilities.

3 years.

Not really.... Vertica shines on stability.

No, scalability is also a strength of the solution.

9 out of 10. HPE has some excellent engineers who are eager to help us make Vertica work well.

I've been a 'full stack' data expert for years, started on Oracle and SQL Server, moved to Hadoop, Mongo, etc, but Vertica was the right fit for large enterprises with high performance demands and ease of scalability.

Initial setup is a bit clunky, like most complex, tunable products can be.

Negotiate when their fiscal year is about to close :)

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid product that keeps its promises. I do worry about HP Enterprise's sale of Vertica to Micro-Focus

Rating: 8/10 - it works very well, but some customers worry about 'Vendor lock-in'.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Certified Vertica/IDOL (HAVEN) Big Data partner with HP Enterprise.
More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.