Vertica Review

In a PoC, query performance outperformed other solutions.

What is most valuable?

We are evaluating storage and database solutions for an OLAP application with following requirements:

• Extract, transform and load high velocity and volume of a numerical data stream on a distributed system.
  • Interactive (less than 20 sec latency) query performance for critical group-bys.

Vertica is superior to other solutions in query performance.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not yet integrated the solution.

What needs improvement?

Vertica’s resource demands for RAM and I/O during load and storage were challenging for our platform. They recommend reserving 40% of storage for Vertica’s internal usage. Lower I/O usage during load is also highly desirable.

The solution is not integrated into our product. We engaged in a PoC for 2-3 months in 2015 and put the evaluation on hold due to other project priorities.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The level of technical support by the sales engineers during our PoC was excellent.

Well-organized, online documentation made the initial setup fairly straightforward.

Our in-house team worked on the PoC.

We evaluated a number of open-source and proprietary databases, as well as an in-house solution. Our PoC has been put on hold and we have not made final decision on a solution.