Vertica Review

Columnar database supports our advanced analytics and ETL process

How has it helped my organization?

Before we used Vertica we used another columnar database which turned out to be very unstable and its performance was inconsistent. Vertica turned that around, to the point that it is now our go-to database. We became Vertica partners.

What is most valuable?

Vertica is a columnar database, this support our developments in analytics, advanced analytics, and our ETL process with large sets of data.

What needs improvement?

I believe the installation process could be streamlined.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

They are very professional and responsive.

See "Improvements to organization," above.

There are some considerations to be evaluated before you start the installation, but the installer does the respective checks so things will function properly. And there are a lot of options.

The first TB is free and you can use all the Vertica features. After 1TB you have to pay for licensing. The product is worth it, but be aware of this condition, and plan. The compression ratio is explained in the documentation.

Infobright and MonetDB.

What other advice do I have?

The technical requirements for the product are really important. The design tool for vertica is the core of the database for performance. Never forget to use it to create projections to optimize the storage compression and response times. Better compression means the 1TB mark takes longer to be reached.