Vertica Review

A scalable unified analytics platform with good performance

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is a typical data warehouse. We just use the data warehouse for reporting and the storage of data. Our users are the staff team who do the reporting and data analysis.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like best is performance. We use Red Tool and Red Job for the data warehouse and reporting. It's perfect. Performance is good, and it can return ad hoc queries very quickly. Of course, it's a cluster, so it's easy to scale.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to make it slow for a small data volume. For large volumes, it's hard to make it work. It's also hard to make it faster, and to make it scale.

I have been using Vertica for about five years.

It's a stable solution.

Vertica is a scalable solution.

Technical support is good, and they react quickly.

The initial setup is okay. You will need some knowledge and some training. I'd say learning takes a couple of months. We use one person to maintain the database side. With the DevOps team, everyone has a different role. But for our database, it's just one person.

The price is reasonable. We use a pay per license model. Firstly, you need to buy a license. After that, you mainly pay the annual support fee of around 20% or 25%. I think their prices are quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We tried to use data lake kind of stuff for machine learning, but for the key functionality of the data warehouse, it's great. Personally, I feel they are over-marketing the machine learning feature and for something like the semi-structured data. But for the data warehouse, it's truly a good solution. I want to recommend it highly.

I would tell potential users that it's hard to make it slow for small data volumes. For large volumes, it's hard to make it work, make it faster, and make it scale. Depending on your workload and your use case, you need to first purchase the Red Tool. After that, you need to follow the best practices to have an efficient design.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Vertica a nine.

Version 9 & 8.1
More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.