VictorOps Review

The Timeline display should be improved as currently you need to scroll down the incident list to find a specific incident. The on-call and escalation notifications can be easily managed.

Valuable Features:

It captures the incidents from New Relic and sends out notification when there is a critical alert.

Improvements to My Organization:

Integration with Amazon CloudWatch and New Relic. Most of the AWS applications are monitored using CloudWatch but it cannot notify using sms/call. Integrating with VictorOps has helped the notification across global telephone numbers.

Room for Improvement:

User management has to be improved and more user types need to be added as there is currently only Admin or User.

The timeline display should be improved as currently you need to scroll down the incident list to find a specific incident. As of now, there is no dashboard which shows you the numbers of incidents and their state - Open, Resolved, Acknowledged, etc.

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for almost 10 months. I am using VictorOps as an alerting tool for all the AWS based applications.

Deployment Issues:

I am not managing the deployment of this application. It’s a web-based application and not under our control.

Stability Issues:

I have had no issues with its stability.

Scalability Issues:

As it's a web-based application, and not managed by us, we have not scaled it ourselves.

Customer service is good. I have always received prompt responses for the queries and concerns raised.

Initial Setup:

The configurations is straightforward and the Knowledge Base of this application is good.

Implementation Team:

I am not implementer -  I am just user of this applications to configure alerts for the applications that I manage.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

As I am a technical person, I do not have any information about this.

Other Solutions Considered:

I was not involved in an evaluation and so I don't know.

Other Advice:

I would recommend VictorOps for global distributed support teams. The on-call and escalation notifications can be easily managed as it includes SMS, push notifications, and call out features which we are using. There are also integrations with tools like Amazon CloudWatch, New Relic, and Slack which are also currently used in the company.

Overall, we're pretty happy with the SMS, push and call notification features. The timeline is not very user friendly, and a real-time dashboard feature which can show incident numbers, status of the incidents, who is working on them, etc. is missing.