Violin System 7000 Series Review

Best for large batch processing and stands out for million of IOPS and ultra-low latency

What is most valuable?

This is an all-flash storage array. It is the best solution for large batch processing. There are some customer databases that have tens of millions of records in one large database. That's where VIOLIN performs the best.

VIOLIN stands out for million of IOPS with ultra-low latency. VIOLIN can provide about two million IOPS in a 3U unit. We have a latency of less than one millisecond.

What needs improvement?

Its overall usability can be improved. It takes some time to know small things here and there to make sure it is working properly.

I have been working with the VIOLIN product since its first version came out almost 15 years ago in 2005. I was a VIOLIN employee for four years from 2013 to 2019.

They are pretty good. They have very knowledgeable people. You can get through to a knowledgeable person pretty quickly.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It takes about half a day to one day for the initial deployment.

On the customer side, there is one person who works as a storage administrator to maintain it.

Software licensing is a part of the hardware. There is no separate software license. When you purchase the hardware, it has everything included.

It has a one-time initial purchase fee. There is also the annual maintenance and the support maintenance cost. Support and maintenance are a part of the new hardware during the initial one year or three years. After that, support and maintenance are optional.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise having a small footprint and then working on heavy workload. You will be very impressed when you move forward to the next step.

I would rate VIOLIN QV2020 a nine out of ten.

7.6
Find out what your peers are saying about VIOLIN Systems, NetApp, Hitachi and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: August 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.